[OM] Re: Wish list - sadly, you're all dreaming

Subject: [OM] Re: Wish list - sadly, you're all dreaming
From: John Gardner <vu49@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 05 Jan 1998 13:21:44 -0800
Dear Zuiks

Just been catching up on the gossip after the Christmas break. WRT the wish
list I fear you are all dreaming. My reasons......

In this months Photo Answers (UK based organ) Olympus have the double page
centre spread dedicated entirely to 'The Digital World of Olympus'. When you
have the mag open at the centre pages there is a full colour spread showing
Olympus' digital printer, a full range of their cameras, a brochure style
view of their C-1400L camera with boxes highlighting all the key features.
There's sample photos with captions explaining how their cameras are
'capable of producing pin sharp images, ready to be reviewed, printed or
manipulated'.

In their  welcome statement it says "Cameras take pictures, record special
events and communicate a variety of emotions. They always have done and they
always will do, no matter if they are loaded witha Daguerrotype glass plate,
a double dark slide of sheet film, a roll of 35mm or an electronic chip.
Olympus are committed to providing photographers with the easiest route to
quality end results. And thanks to digital technology, the world of
image-making has suddenly become a lot simpler. No processing, no darkroom,
no wasted shots, just top quality pictures that can be reviewed instantly,
printed or manipulated. Digital picture-taking is clearly the future and
Olympus are making pioneering strides in its development. What will never
change is Olympus' appreciation of why people pick up a camera and what they
want it to achieve - in short, memorable photography"

On the page before the centre spread is a glamour shot of Catherine Bailey
taken by David Bailey and on the page following the double spread is a list
of every single Olympus dealer in the UK.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but I think Olympus have bailed out of
35mm photography big time.

I'll continue to use my 4Ti and will always buy used Zuiko lenses till there
are none left and mine are all but dead, but I suspect that my minimum N*k*n
kit (F4, 600mm and 300mm f/2.8) will expand someday.

John.

PS The only comforting thing about the advert IMHO is that the shot of
Catherine B. is decidedly shakey and oh so not sharp. It has a very bitmappy
look to it. I'm sure that any average snap I've taken, if blown to A4 same
as this, would be far, far sharper.

#
# For questions email: owner-olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx