Re: [OM] more OM-5 wish lists

Subject: Re: [OM] more OM-5 wish lists
From: Tomoko Yamamoto <tomokoy@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 08 Jan 1998 22:50:13 -0800
At 07:00 PM 1/8/98 +0100, you wrote:

>I asked a local camera dealer, he said that he thinks that there is
>devenitly a market for a camera like the OM2000. Many people revuse to
>buy used cameras. In fact for a customer, it´s more dificult to check a
>used body, if it´s working properly, than to check lenses.
>But he didn´t heard from Olympus Germany that they plan to introduce the
>OM2000. He heard the first time about the existence of the OM2000 from
>me!
>Okay, it´s shop with a strong Nikon tendency, but there is no shop in
>town who caters other Olympus stuff than P&S.
>The dealer thinks too, that Olympus has lost his interest in the OM
>series. An opinion you will find also published in the local photo
>magazins.

I was in my local camera store again late this afternoon.  This was a good
time because no other customers were there and this salesman (not my usual
one) was willing to talk.  He tried to sell me a Nikon, but I learned that
the store's best seller was the Canon Rebel G kit which includes a filter
and a roll of film, a camera bag, etc.  One box contains everything.  They
(two stores) sold 300 or 400 of these boxes!  The kit is priced just below
$500.  The volume of the sale was much more than I thought.  The store, the
one I frequent, employs several salesmen.  All the camera sales are handled
by men although the store does use some women at the counter to take photo
processing orders.

For those in Europe, I think that the Canon Rebel G is the Canon EOS 5000
and the Canon Rebel G QD is the EOS 500N.

The local store does best with Nikon in terms of gross sales, but with
Canon in terms of volume.  The Minoltas are not selling as well.  The
Pentax is doing poorly.

The salesman said that Canon has a better manual, easy to follow, and they
have effective TV advertisements.  The camera boxes bear some well-known
sports figures.  They have a mass appeal.

Olympus does have a dour image compared to that.  I don't watch TV.  Does
Olympus advertise on TV?

Tomoko Yamamoto
Photographer, Composer, Soprano
mailto:tomokoy@xxxxxxxxx
http://www.charm.net/~tomokoy/
-All the photos (except panorama) with OM's-
http://ep.com/ep/csp.html?csp=1130
-Olympus Equipment Classifieds-

#
# For questions email: owner-olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx