Re: [OM] Mid-Atlantic Oly Fest

Subject: Re: [OM] Mid-Atlantic Oly Fest
From: Tomoko Yamamoto <tomokoy@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 1998 07:19:15 -0800
Rand Tomcala,  Jim Loudon, and I became the first Oly mailing list members
to face each other last Saturday afternoon.  There were two others who had
indicated interest, but could not make the Saturday meeting.

The three of us do not own every piece of the OM camera gear, but we have
covered a great deal. Rand came with his entire collection which covered
the entire surface of  my 5-foot folding table. Jim brought what we asked
him to bring. He came from north of Philadelphia while Rand was only 30
minutes away.  I had, of cource, the advantage of having the event at my
place.

Rand has amassed a lot of OM macro gear.  What is impressive about his
collection (he does macro for his coin collection) is some early OM macro
gear which looked just like new.  He had orginal boxes also.

He showed us an impressive collection of Olympus booklets.  I used the word
booklets to emphasize that these are not folded brochures or small but
several-page Olympus America has nowadays.  These booklets are like tourism
brochures.  All are color printed booklets of  perhaps 10 pages (I did not
count the number of pages).  I was impressed with size.  Perhaps Rand can
tell us the exact dimension of these booklets for those of us who missed
those early glory days of the OM system.

With respect to Jim Loudon's OM gear, I got to see his 40mm Zuiko lens
which is a small lens. Rand measured the shutter speeds of two of Jim's OM
cameras with his shutter-speed tester.  Jim also brought his Nikon to show
me the Nikon automation.

Since neither of them owns the OM bodies beyond the 1s and 2s, all three of
my OM bodies, the M-1, the OM-4T and the OM2000 were new to them.  They
looked through my 35mm shift lens to see how the perspective changes.  When
I displayed my 200mm/5, Rand put his 200mm/4 next to it to compare.  Jim
wondered how his compact Tamron zoom (or was it your Zuiko zoom, Jim?)
looked next to my 200/4.  The 200/4 was clearly the most compact.

I got to try Rand's Varimagni Finder on my OM2000. There is no shread of
doubt regarding its fit to the 2000 now.  I thank Michael Covington to ask
the fit question, which led eventually to this gathering.

Those of us who do not have a benefit of an Olympus club in our locales
would certainly gain from face-to-face meetings of other OM users and  I
encourage others to hold a similar gathering.

Tomoko Yamamoto
Photographer, Composer, Soprano
mailto:tomokoy@xxxxxxxxx
http://www.charm.net/~tomokoy/
-All the photos (except panorama) with OM's-
http://ep.com/ep/csp.html?csp=1130
-Olympus Equipment Classifieds-

#
# For questions email: owner-olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx