Re: [OM] OM Wish List -Summary & Petition

Subject: Re: [OM] OM Wish List -Summary & Petition
From: Tomoko Yamamoto <tomokoy@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 1998 13:20:28 -0800
At 10:21 PM 1/12/98 -0800, I wrote yesterday:
>As I have said previously, I am going to be summarizing what have been
>posted so far tomorrow evening and hopefully post my summary in English
>later that evening.
>All the prices indicated is street price in US dollars i.e. 20-300ff list.
>
>So far what we have discussed fall into three different models:
>
>1. Budget OM-1 or 2x-- close to the OM2000 in price but need to be a real
>OM in terms of compatibilities (winder/md 2, 2-4,13 screens, TTL?)  Around
>$400? Would you like to buy such a camera in the next two years?
>
>2. OM-4 Budget --Made with non-titanium metal and some plastic to make this
>an affordable OM-4.
> around $700 ± $100?  Would you buy such a camera in the next two years?
>
>3. OM-5Ti under $1500 --Most people seem to have expressed that this is to
>be manual focus with more features than the OM-4Ti.  Would you buy such a
>camera in 3-5 years?

I realized I had left out a few things last night.

Besides new OM bodies, there have been wishes raised for lenses.  There
might be some wishes for flashes and other accessories.

I am not expecting to reach any concensus here on the list.  There have
been a diversity of opinions, and some people are simply skeptical of
asking for new OM bodies at this present time.  I would say that it was
Olympus which stimulated our dormant desires by releasing the OM2000 in the
United States.  Some dealers, such as my local camera store, have responded
by carrying the item in their stores.  It simply does not make sense to
have the OM-3Ti/4Ti which cost more than $1000 and the OM2000 at $300
without having anything in between.

IMO, the important thing to ask is to ask for new OM bodies in certain
price ranges.  We don't seem to agree on the types of specifications.  None
of us are in the camera manufacturing business so it is hard for us to
guess how much each feature will cost anyway.

I've already put in the snail mail to Kazufusa Taneichi a few samples of
camera ads by three stores, the Camera Shop Christmas catalog (an insert in
the newspaper), a full-page ad by Ritz Camera, and a smaller ad by J&R
Music World (in the N.Y. Times).  I am certain the US market is important
to Olympus.  I wanted to send local ads so that they will have an idea what
they are missing out in the SLR market.  If any of you have local camera
ads to indicate what your local stores are advertising, at least save them
and perhaps put them in the snail mail also.

Tomoko Yamamoto
Photographer, Composer, Soprano
mailto:tomokoy@xxxxxxxxx
http://www.charm.net/~tomokoy/
-All the photos (except panorama) with OM's-
http://ep.com/ep/csp.html?csp=1130
-Olympus Equipment Classifieds-

#
# For questions email: owner-olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx