Re: [OM] OM Wish List -Summary & Petition

Subject: Re: [OM] OM Wish List -Summary & Petition
From: Tomoko Yamamoto <tomokoy@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 1998 00:17:57 -0800
At 01:20 PM 1/13/98 -0800, I  wrote:
>>As I have said previously, I am going to be summarizing what have been
>>posted so far tomorrow evening and hopefully post my summary in English
>>later that evening.
>>All the prices indicated is street price in US dollars i.e. 20-300ff list.
>>
>>So far what we have discussed fall into three different models:
>>
>>1. Budget OM-1 or 2x-- close to the OM2000 in price but need to be a real
>>OM in terms of compatibilities (winder/md 2, 2-4,13 screens, TTL?)  Around
>>$400? Would you like to buy such a camera in the next two years?
>>
>>2. OM-4 Budget --Made with non-titanium metal and some plastic to make this
>>an affordable OM-4.
>> around $700 ± $100?  Would you buy such a camera in the next two years?
>>
>>3. OM-5Ti under $1500 --Most people seem to have expressed that this is to
>>be manual focus with more features than the OM-4Ti.  Would you buy such a
>>camera in 3-5 years?
>>
>I realized I had left out a few things last night.
>
>Besides new OM bodies, there have been wishes raised for lenses.  There
>might be some wishes for flashes and other accessories.

For the past few hours, I have gone through many of the past posts of the
wish lists (there have been a few threads).  My tentative conclusion is
that I was too optimistic to summarize these in one evening.  However, I
would like to pose a few  questions to the list so that I have some idea
what we want to request that Olympus do in the near future with the OM
series.

With respect to the price categories of new OM bodies, I really like to
know how many people would buy these hypothetical models I described above
by prices and models.  I think our requests will be stronger if I have some
numbers to back up even though statistically speaking our group is too
insignificant.   The prices would put constraints on the models just as the
basic features such as metal content, AF or MF.

Therefore please vote on the following:

1. Which one of the above (OM reissues with maybe some new features below
$500, ca. $700, and an OM-5 below $1500) would you buy in the next 2-5
years? Just one or all three?

2.Would you like to have an autofocusing OM-x?

3. Would you be willing to have a somewhat larger OM body so that several
new features may be accommodated?

4. What is the single most important feature of the OM body that you would
like to see retained? Just name one.

My plan of action is to present to Olympus Japan the results of the votes
and to simply summarize all the wish lists the list members have raised so
far.  Please vote on the above by midnight Friday, 16th
(US Eastern Standard Time).
Tomoko Yamamoto
Photographer, Composer, Soprano
mailto:tomokoy@xxxxxxxxx
http://www.charm.net/~tomokoy/
-All the photos (except panorama) with OM's-
http://ep.com/ep/csp.html?csp=1130
-Olympus Equipment Classifieds-

#
# For questions email: owner-olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx