Re: [OM] OM Wish List -Summary & Petition

Subject: Re: [OM] OM Wish List -Summary & Petition
From: wijsmuller@xxxxxx
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 1998 22:54:27 +0000
Hello Tomoko,

here my answers to both your question-lists:

> So far what we have discussed fall into three different models:
>
> 1. Budget OM-1 or 2x-- close to the OM2000 in price but need to be a real
> OM in terms of compatibilities (winder/md 2, 2-4,13 screens, TTL?)
> Around >$400? Would you like to buy such a camera in the next two
> years?

No, I'd go for number two.

> 2. OM-4 Budget --Made with non-titanium metal and some plastic to
> make this an affordable OM-4. around $700 ± $100?
> Would you buy such a camera in the next two years?

Yes. However no plastic (metal is becomming an 'unique selling point'
;-).

> 3. OM-5Ti under $1500 --Most people seem to have expressed that this
> is to be manual focus with more features than the OM-4Ti.  Would you buy such
> camera in 3-5 years?

No. I'd buy a second number two ;-). But if the OM-6 would be the
same price as an OM-4Ti (which is, I think we all agree, at
the moment overpriced), I would be tempted.

> Therefore please vote on the following:
>
> 1. Which one of the above (OM reissues with maybe some new features below
> $500, ca. $700, and an OM-5 below $1500) would you buy in the next 2-5
> years? Just one or all three?

Only the OM-4Basic and depending on the price the OM-6.

> 2.Would you like to have an autofocusing OM-x?

No, but I would like a proper focus assist. From earlier postings I
understand it is necessary for the camera to 'know' the minimum
F-stop of the camera, and it is convenient to have the diaphragm
displayed in the viewfinder too. Well how about a built-in laser that
only needs an specially 'inside-reflective' lenscap in order to
determine this F-stop? You only need to buy new lenscaps in
order for this system to operate ;-).

> 3. Would you be willing to have a somewhat larger OM body so that several
> new features may be accommodated?

This question implicitly assumes that its necessary to have a larger
OM body for more new features. Why? More than ten years have past
(and in terms of design probably 15) since the OM-4 was invented.
Electronics tends to get smaller every year? And mechanics tends to
get smarter. So I think there will be some room for new features
before making the camera larger. The bottom line is: no.

> 4. What is the single most important feature of the OM body that you would
> like to see retained? Just name one.

Highly integrated system (that should mean retain existing
dimensions too ;-).

Greetings,

Frank Wijsmuller.

#