Re: [OM] Macro lens choice

Subject: Re: [OM] Macro lens choice
From: "Doug Nowlin" <wa5ohb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 1998 10:53:00 -0600
>Steven Chung/Gary Schloss/others wrote:
>
>>> Re: macro photography using OM system.  I've been thinking about getting
>>> the auto bellows and a 1 to 1 macro lens, or 65-116 auto tube, but now I
>>> am thinking maybe I should save for a T*mr*n SP 90MM F2.8 1:1 macro lens
>>> in adaptall mount. I'd like to get 1:1 magnification, any advice ?
>
>AFAIK, the above 90/f2.8 is an AF only model, hence it doesn't come in OM
>mount.

As you are now aware, this is not in agreement with advertising or B&H
catalog. The fault I see with this lens is the short working distance. Due
to a recessed front element and optical tricks to reach 1:1, the working
distance at 1:1 is only slightly better than a 50mm 1:1. The 65-116 auto
tube or a Novoflex auto bellows avoid the double release hassle.

>- Kiron 105mm F2.8

Charlotte Camera has been advertising one 9+ for $179 in OM mount. I thought
about getting it, but I am going to see what Sigmas new 105mm f/2.8 1:1 is
going to offer. Despite the bad posts on Sigma, they have some optical
marvels.

>- Vivitar Series 1 105mm F2.5

I had one of these for CFD, and it was quite good, but I sold it as I do not
like Canon MF cameras.

>- Vivitar 100mm F2.8
>(all three are essentially the same lens, all made by Kino Precision)

I just got a 28-210mm f/3.8-5.6 Kiron for $35 for NAI. Eat your heart out
Gary!

>- Vivitar 90mm F2.8
>(I've also seen it sold as the Elicar 90mm F2.5, dunno who made it)

I have an Elicar 90mm f/2.5 (not OM). Popular Photography did a review on
the latest a couple of months ago. The new model goes beyond 1:1, but forget
OM mount. It is generally rated a good but not great lens. I believe it is
made by an industrial optical company, and has appeared under various names.
The original 90mm f/2.5(?) S1 Vivitar is very highly rated, but it requires
an adapter for 1:1. I do have one of these in OM mount, and it is very
sharp. The current 90mm Sigma and 100mm Vivitar macros come with a diopter
to reach 1:1, and both are capable of great results when stopped down.

>>Has anyone had any experience with the 500mm f8 mirror?
>
>Never tried one myself, but, for whatever it's worth, most people describe
>it as: "very good, for a mirror lens". It's also quite compact. Btw, Tamron
>also makes a similar SP-grade lens, which got very good reviews.

I have the Tamron as it can be used on virtually any 35mm system and it is
quite good. 500mm mirror lenses are not for everyone. I have found a tripod
and an eyepiece magnifier a must for sharp pictures.

Doug

#
# For questions email: owner-olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx