Re: [OM] Inexpensive way to macrophotography

Subject: Re: [OM] Inexpensive way to macrophotography
From: "Shawn Wright" <swright@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 1998 08:59:08 -0800
On 15 Jan 98 at 10:29, Frank van Lindert wrote:

> I have never tried this out, but I wonder what quality this setup
> might give compared to dedicated macro lenses. Not long ago I bought a
> 50/1.2 and 50/1.4 set of standard lenses, which had been used for
> special macro photography by a university laboratory. The 1.4 had been
> on the camera, and the 1.2 was reversely mounted on the 1.4.
>
> I don't know why the experimenter used these expensive fast lenses for
> his purposes: in front of the (now) most frontal element (the normally
> rear element of the 1.2) he had mounted an extra fixed diafragm
> screwed to an OM-mount ring, stopping down the lens to about f:8 (and
> giving a very good protection to the glass...)
>
> Anyway, I was happy with the opportunity to buy these lenses, which
> only had been used indoors... but why did this institute prefer this
> combination over a proper 38 or 20mm macro?

Back when I was first learning with SLRs on my Dad's OM-2, I read about this
practice, and being a young mind not afraid of anything, I tried it using what
I had to work with. I don't recall the exact combination of lenses I tried, but
at that time I had to work with:

24/2.8
50/1.8
35/2.8
135/3.5
200/4

Thanks to the TTL with a QA310 flash, I got some decent shots, otherwise I
expect correct exposure would have been nearly impossible to achieve. All my
shots were on b/w film, so I don't know how the colour rendition would be.
The results were quite varied, but I have a few 8x10s which show impressive
sharpness and detail, at least within the limited DOF. One shot in particular
shows the eyes of a fly which fill about 1/2 of the frame, and appears quite
menacing at 8x10 size...
It would seem that this was somewhat more than 1:1 magnification, but I don't
remember which lenses combined to give this result. I do recall that focussing
was very difficult, and that I had to manually stop down the reversed lens
using the DOF lever.

#
# For questions email: owner-olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx