Re: [OM] Aperture Communications (Was something else)

Subject: Re: [OM] Aperture Communications (Was something else)
From: Lars Haven <lhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 1998 20:13:13 +0100
Gene Mayeda wrote:

> This reminds me of the old Nikon Photomic T finder where you had to set
> the maximum aperture of the lens at the film speed in use in order to
> get the proper exposure readings.I think the early Nikkormats had a
> similar arrangement.Was this still a requirement of the FTn?Needless to
> say it made changing lenses less than effortless since not all lenses
> had the same maximum aperture.So I suppose that f-stops could be seen in
> the finder of future OM camera bodies but it would require one to set
> the maximum aperture in manually with the present lenses.Future camera
> bodies and lenses could be self-indexing while retaining compatability
> with the present lenses.
> Personally I never worried about f-stops in the finder.The more info in
> the finder there is the more I ignore it since it distracts me from the
> important business of capturing the "decisive moment".BTW has anyone
> here commented on how the apparent viewing area has decreased from the
> wonderfully large size found in the OM-1 and 2 to the smaller but
> information crammed 3 and 4? (Sorry I never looked inside a 2SP.)
> -Gene Mayeda

Olympus could add f-number in the finder relatively easy, if new
lenses were added a way to tell the largest aperture to the body.
One good way would be to do it electrically. It ought to be possible
to add such a system (embed two or three contacts in the mount) without
ruining compatibility with the old lenses and bodys.
Practica used the electrical solution to tell how many stops the
aperture would change on some of the old M42 mount models.

It even ought to be possible to convert the current lenses with
only minor surgery, especially if the contacts were located on the
outer perimeter of the flange. Space is rather tight inside/behind
the mount of the current lenses, so conversion would be easier if
it was just a matter of mounting a small widget on the side of the
lens mount.

Lars
--
Lars Haven  <lhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> aka <lhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
"When writing about women, one must dip one's pen in a rainbow"

#
# For questions email: owner-olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx