Re: [OM] Aperture Communications (Was something else)

Subject: Re: [OM] Aperture Communications (Was something else)
From: "John A. Prosper" <prosper@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 1998 18:07:31 -0500 (EST)
On Thu, 15 Jan 1998, Lars Haven wrote:

> Date: Thu, 15 Jan 1998 20:13:13 +0100
> From: Lars Haven <lhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> To: olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Subject: Re: [OM] Aperture Communications  (Was something else)
>
> Olympus could add f-number in the finder relatively easy, if new
> lenses were added a way to tell the largest aperture to the body.
> One good way would be to do it electrically. It ought to be possible
> to add such a system (embed two or three contacts in the mount) without
> ruining compatibility with the old lenses and bodys.
> Practica used the electrical solution to tell how many stops the
> aperture would change on some of the old M42 mount models.

This would be nice for sales outside the Olympus lovers inner
circle as one of the major complaints against the OM units is
lack of aperture info in the viewfinder.

> It even ought to be possible to convert the current lenses with
> only minor surgery, especially if the contacts were located on the
> outer perimeter of the flange. Space is rather tight inside/behind
> the mount of the current lenses, so conversion would be easier if
> it was just a matter of mounting a small widget on the side of the
> lens mount.

The lack of viewfinder info is not a major concern for me
personally as I tend to automatically count off the detente stop
marks from max aperture.  However, it is obviously a boon for some,
especially in low light conditions where the aperture markings may
not be clearly visible.

Furthermore, it may worthwhile to clutter the viewfinder display
further by putting the ISO speed info there.  While not a critical
need, ISO errors caused by inadvertently changing the ISO setting
while making exposure compensations can be quickly caught.

John A. Prosper                         # Take firm hold of Instruction, do
Internet: Prosper@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx     # not let go; guard her, for she is
          ProsperJ@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx   # your life.
#
# For questions email: owner-olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx