Re: [OM] OM Preference-Vote (Was Wish List -Summary & Petition)

Subject: Re: [OM] OM Preference-Vote (Was Wish List -Summary & Petition)
From: Robert Hall <robhall@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 17 Jan 1998 00:43:12 +0000
Tomoko Yamamoto wrote:

> At 12:47 PM 1/16/98 -0800, Shawn Wright has informed me:
> >
> >For your stats, the current list stats are:
> >
> >olympus: 202
> >digest: 81
> >
> >Keep in mind that 1-2 on each list may not be valid, due to bounces which I
> >haven't had time to deal with. Also, many on the digest are also on the
> regular
> >list. I'd say 225 is certainly a safe number, which gives you an idea how
> many
> >lurkers are out there...

I guess we lurkers can't hide behind our screens forever...

> To those in a silent majority on the list:
> So here are the questions again:

> 1. Which one of the new OM bodies (OM reissues with possibly a few new
> features, one under $500, one ca. $700, and an OM-5 under $1500) would you
> buy in the next 2-5 years? Just one or two or all three? (You have to ask
> your own pocketbook and your buying habit.)

Probably the OM5 depending on what features are present. But an OM4 with
MLU and a 2 sec self timer would be appealing.

> 2.Would you like to have an autofocusing OM-x? (Be honest.  You don't need
> to be realistic here.)

Honestly, no.  I really can't see Olympus re-asserting itself in the
AF department, however,  focus confirmation in the viewfinder would be
nice. I think that I would use this feature a lot.

> 3. Would you be willing to have a somewhat larger OM body so that several
> new features may be accommodated?

It depends. I think that Olympus has spoiled it's users by manufacturing
lightweight, functional 35mm cameras.    Certainly, I hope they would
not produce something of the gargantuan variety e.g. Nikon F4, Contax
RTS III.

> 4. What is the single most important feature of the OM body that you would
> like to see retained? Please narrow your preferences down to the single
> feature.  I will not count those votes with two items here.

Smallness in size.

Also I would like to vote for the following features on the new OM5 or
the "new and improved" OM4.

1)MLU provision that functions independent of the self timer.
2)2 sec self timer.
3)Consider an internal motor drive that advances/rewinds film as long as
it does not add considerable weight to the camera.
4)Autobracketing would be nice.

Respectfully,

Robert Hall

#