RE: [OM] OM Preference-Vote (Was Wish List -Summary & Petition)

Subject: RE: [OM] OM Preference-Vote (Was Wish List -Summary & Petition)
From: David Hughes - SHR <Dave.J.Hughes@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 1998 15:54:45 -0500
        1. Which one of the new OM bodies (OM reissues with possibly a
few new
        features, one under $500, one ca. $700, and an OM-5 under $1500)
would you
        buy in the next 2-5 years? Just one or two or all three? (You
have to ask
        your own pocketbook and your buying habit.)

I cannot see spending $1500, but I can definitely see spending $500 or
$700 for a well-made, simple-to-operate camera that preserved my
investment in lenses (~10 Zuikos, plus a couple aftermarket) - indeed,
one of my OM bodies (an original OM-1) may need replacing within the
year.

        2.Would you like to have an autofocusing OM-x? (Be honest.  You
don't need
        to be realistic here.)

Yes.  I am old enough that autofocus or an assist would be useful,
particularly in low light or with small aperture zoom lenses.  I have
been looking at the new Pentax ZX5n, but I am reluctant to maintain two
camera systems.  The ZX5n is appealing because it is small, light, and
simple to use - with a minimum of buttons, menus, etc.  But if I could
get a focus assist on a (current, supported) OM camera, I could keep my
current investment.

At the end of the day, I suspect the proliferation of black plastic
blobs with computer-like user interfaces is part of what is driving
consumers away from SLRs and toward P&S.

        3. Would you be willing to have a somewhat larger OM body so
that several
        new features may be accommodated?

No -see #2 above.  To be more specific, many of the new "features" that
are proliferating on SLRs these days seem to take the photographer away
from the art of making photographs.  As an example, personally, I do not
want apertures in my viewfinder.  I appreciate the shutter speed
indicator in my OM-2n, but I want no more detractions in my viewfinder,
so adding bulk to the camera to include more "features" would probably
push me toward buying the Pentax, or a point-and-shoot.  (To me, the
OM-4 is already overly complex...which is why I will not replace my
dying OM-1 with an OM-4Ti.)

        4. What is the single most important feature of the OM body that
you would
        like to see retained? Please narrow your preferences down to the
single
        feature.  I will not count those votes with two items here.

Guaranteed system compatibility for as long as I own the camera - which
is to say it would feel good if Olympus indicated they were not going to
abandon this market.  (Realistically, I suspect that any new "REAL" OM
system body would indicate corporate commitment, at least to me.  The
Cosina-based OM2000 seems too half-hearted.)

#
# For questions email: owner-olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx