Re: [OM] Olympus Calendar in Electronic Format? Think Again!

Subject: Re: [OM] Olympus Calendar in Electronic Format? Think Again!
From: Tomoko Yamamoto <tomokoy@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 1998 20:30:07 -0800
At 11:35 PM 1/20/98 +0100, Richard Schätzl wrote:
>Garth Wood wrote:
>> If the assembled personages of this august list wanted to have 2450 dpi
>> output (Lino, gives approx. 133 lpi [good magazine quality]), the following
>> would hold.
>>
>>    Image Size: 8" x 10" (for example)
>>    Bits per square inch: 2450 x 2450 = 6,002,500
>>    Square inches in image: 80
>>    Size of image file (ignoring overhead, monochrome):
>>       80 x 6,002,500 = 480,200,000 bits
>>                      =  60,025,000 bytes
>>                      =  57.24 Mbytes
>>    Size of image file (CMYK): 4 x 57.24 Mbytes = 228.98 Mbytes
>>
>>    Download speed using a 28.8 modem dialup with 97 0.000000e+00fficiency
>> (27,936
bps):
>>       (480,200,000 x 4) / 27,936 = 68,757 seconds
>>                                  =     19.1 hours (approx.)
>>
>> That's for *one* image, folks.  If you drop the dpi (you no longer have
>> display-quality on paper, although a good dye-sub printer could fake a lot
>> because it does continuous-tone gradations), you get the following results:
>
>snip...
>
>> Thoughts?
>
>You´re joking...
>
>Do you have images 228 MB big? Zuiko produce sharp images, but not as
>sharp as to justify 228 megs scans! Not to mention the film.
>Just calculate: Your image is roughly 8 times enlarged, that means you
>have to scan your negativs, positivs with 8 x 2540dpi = 20320dpi!!!!
>Never heard of a scanner capable of this.
>The resolution of your Zuiko image should should be roughly 400 lines
>per mm to justify this.
>
>What you have done, is to confuse the resolution in dpi of the printer
>with the halftone resolution of the image.
>The printer needs for his press a higher printing resolution to simulate
>halftones.
>If you want a 300 dpi or 150 lpi resolution for your image 8 x 10 you
>have to calculate:
>
>8X10=80 square inch
>
>300x300=90,000 pixel
>
>90000x800=7,200,000 image pixel
>
>each pixel has 3 byts 24 bit, because you should not separate in CMYK
>before you know your printing device to match. Without Postscript and
>just Mac or Windows OS it´s futile to separate images because this OS
>only know RGB colors.
>
>7,200,000pixel x 3 byte = 21,600,000 byte or roughly 20 MB

As I have been reading this thread on the Oly Calendar idea, I sense that
most people have not had any experience in having had conventional color
printing done nor have tried one on one's own.

Having priced the printing of an exhibit notice several years back, I knew
four-color separation is costly. (I had my exhibit notice printed in one
color.)  I print my photographs at a notecard size on an Epson Stylus Pro
printer.  For an image of 3 and a half inches by five inches (9cm x
12.7cm), I use a file size of about 4 Mb.  For an 8x10 image, this would
translate to about 18 Mb.

In any case, this is a huge file for electronic delivery.  Instead of
producing an Oly calendar by the list volunteers, I suggest the following:

1. I could propose to Olympus Japan as part of my camera proposal that they
make an Olympus calendar using images from OM users all over the world.
They could set up a sort of competition among the OM users for 12 calendar
images.  The winners would get complimentary calendars plus whatever
Olympus is willing to give (a new OM-5?).  I should mention here that
Olympus Japan is definitely proud of their OM-4Ti.  They offered an
OM-4TiBlack + 90mmF2 macro for winners of  the 97 Asahi Camera Competition
("Asahi Camera" is the name of a Japanese photo magazine).  Of course,
Nikon offered an F5 + AiAF Nikkor 50mmF1.4D.

2. Instead of the Olympus Mailing List Calendar, the list would set up a
Web gallery of periodic shows of member's photographs, similar to the one
available now at the PhotoForum.  The main thing for a volunteer is to make
a selection among those submitted images.  Another person can volunteer for
a space.  It would be interesting and stimulating for those who do not have
a Web site yet to be able to have one's images displayed all over the
world.  Also for us who would have a look at them, too.

How do you like my ideas?

Tomoko Yamamoto
Photographer, Composer, Soprano
mailto:tomokoy@xxxxxxxxx
http://www.charm.net/~tomokoy/
-All the photos (except panorama) with OM's-
http://ep.com/ep/csp.html?csp=1130
-Olympus Equipment Classifieds-

#
# For questions email: owner-olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx