Re: [OM] UnDinging a Ding

Subject: Re: [OM] UnDinging a Ding
From: CarlMarin <CarlMarin@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 1998 20:48:04 EST

>  Hello all Zuikiods
>

>  Any one undinged a filter ring on a zuiko?.  I've got a 28 f2.8 with a ding
>  in the filter ring.  This makes it hard to mount filters.   Is there a safe
>  way to fix this.
>
>  Stuart Goggin

Stuart,  the camera techs have a little vise tool that they can use to ease
the edge back out but I've straightened quite a few using a short length of
hardwood dowel rod, something like a half inch diameter or maybe a little
larger is fine.  You just use the round surface in the vicinity of the ding
and alot of hand strength (no hammer please!) and just gradually work it back
out.  Lean on it a bit, look at it, lean on it a bit more, moving back and
forth until you've got it to the point where a filter will screw on.  If your
eyeball is not too keen you can use a filter to see how much more you need to
bend to get it evened out.  The ding usually won't be invisible, depending on
how hard it was bent over, but you can make it work again and look alot
better.  Sometimes you get lucky and you can pretty much make the ding
disappear (if you don't look too close).

The worst ones are the ones where some clown has taken a pair of pliers to the
bend and yanked it out.  This just tears up the threads and leaves little flat
plier marks instead of the nice tidy bend.  I've successfully reformed such
messes but it is time consuming and requires that you get the thing close to
round again then get into the threads with the tip of a jewelers file and
painstakingly reform as many threads as you can.  It still looks ugly but you
can screw a filter on.

Another trick on a really boogered up lens it to get it to some point where
you can at least jam a filter on, perhaps one that has had the glass removed.
At this point you just leave this ring on, perhaps even bond it in place, then
you have good threads to use for filters.  Vignetting is a small concern with
wide angles doing this but you could use a step up ring as a short hood to
recover some functionality.

Good luck,

Carl Turner

#