Re: [OM] Distortion in 35/2.8?

Subject: Re: [OM] Distortion in 35/2.8?
From: "Marco" <tom@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 21 Jan 98 09:03:28 +0100
On Mar, 20 gen 1998 17:23, Shawn Wright <mailto:swright@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>I just printed an 8x10 shot with my Zuiko 35/2.8 (single coated), with an
old
>church near the centre, and three old lamp posts, one near the centre, and
one
>near each edge of the frame. Upon printing, I noticed the outer lamp posts
are
>leaning inwards toward the centre of the frame.
>
>Since I don't recall them being this way, I must assume this is distortion
in
>the lens, although I don't recall exactly the name for this effect.

If "leaning" means straight lines not perfectly vertical, it is
prospectical distortion only. No blame to the lens, you have to put the
camera on a tripod and get sure of its perfect verticality. Check the
parallelism of the lateral posts with the frame of the viewfinder.

>Is this typical of the 35/2.8, and if so, are there Zuikos in the 24-35
range
>which are better at controlling this effect?

Distortion may be barrel or pincushion. In an Italian source I find the 35
2.8 has (or had) a moderate (a bit more than 2%) picushion distortion...
Not so much to be noticed as "big" distortion, yet pretty visible.

>I'm afraid the shot is ruined, as is a vertical of the same church. At
least
>with the vertical, I expected a problem, since I don't have a shift lens.
The
>horizontal shot came as a surprise to me.

This consideration points at prospectical distortion. I suggest you:

1) put camera on a tripod
2) look at a spirit-level
3) check straight lines with the borders of the viewfinder, if they are
near to it
4) use a 1-10 or 2-10 (exists?) screen to check *all* vertical or
horizontal lines
5) if you cannot catch all the subject this way, use a shorter wide-angle
lens and then crop
6) if you make prints, you can correct prospectical distortion with the
enlarger
7) and of course by software
8) put your big print on the wall, at the right highness in order to be
seen from the right point of view...

Of course the real thing are the Zuiko shift lenses, tripod, spirit-level
and x-10 screen.

Marco

#
# For questions email: owner-olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx