Re: [OM] Olympus Calendar in Electronic Format? Think Again!

Subject: Re: [OM] Olympus Calendar in Electronic Format? Think Again!
From: Richard Schätzl <Richard.Schaetzl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 1998 14:25:16 +0100
Garth Wood wrote:

> Richard:
>
> Please go back and read my original post -- you'll see I'm not wrong (in
> fact, your final set of calculations essentially agrees with mine for the
> 300 dpi scenario, adjusting for the fact you're talking about an output
> device which can produce 256 levels of luminance for each pixel, while I
> wasn't).
>
> My point is simple: depending on target resolution and output device
> (remember, the original poster suggested that we distribute this as a .PDF
> file, which is device-independent but, FOR RASTER IMAGES, *not*
> resolution-independent), the files could be unacceptably huge.  I've
> produced single-page monochrome files as .PDFs with a target resolution of
> 2450 dpi that have been in the 50+ Mbyte range when a raster image was
> included.  Thus my subsidiary point about particular target devices
> (dye-sub printers) producing good results even with modest resolutions (300
> dpi) and large printouts (8"x10" or better) -- the printing algorithms in
> such devices, combined with chemo-mechanical processes involved, can
> "interpolate" huge amounts of otherwise-missing "point" data.  I've seen
> dye-subs produce output that tricked me into believing I was looking at a
> photo until I got the loupe out.

In fact a lino imagesetter will produce an image, as big as you
indicated, during separation and rastering.
But what I want to show is, that the images, our Zuikos produce, don´t
have the resolution to justify 200 MB files.

Do you have considered JPEG compression, I did some tests, wich reduced
the file size to nearly 1/10 of the original size in the best quality
seting. There was no obvious difference to the eye by zooming in to
200%.
I was always sceptic about JPEG, but this results shows, that is a very
practical file type.

Richard

#
# For questions email: owner-olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx