Re: [OM] Nature's ND Filter?

Subject: Re: [OM] Nature's ND Filter?
From: Ken Norton <kenorton@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 1998 15:54:01 -0600
>I've always been skeptical about this rule, but John Shaw and Judy Holmes
>swear by it. I often have to open up at least one stop from this and at the
>weekend I tried it and I was also two stops down even though it was bright
>winter sunshine and clear blue skies.

It used to work for me!  I don't quite understand it...  I'm hoping
somebody can shed some light (ooh) on the subject.

>> BTW, the eagles are back.  I've been able to get within 20 meters without
>> any problems or using blinds.  I came across six in one tree!  ...oh, for a
>> big lens...

>Grr! You're telling me this to wind me up aren't you? I want to come over to
>photograph eagles and owls about now but the wife reckons it'll be too
cold in
>Michigan or Maine. But she won't let me come on my own :( Women!

Being from Michigan, I would suggest not going there in the wintertime
unless you are into chasing four-legged critters (deer, elk, wolves, moose,
beer) on skis or snowmobiles.  Ice fishing is also extremely popular.

Actually, the eagles are concentrated in the Mississippi River valley
between the Quad-cities and Hannibal Missouri.  They primarily hang out
just below the dams at Keokuk, Iowa; Canton, Missouri; and Quincy,
Illinois.  Saturday, I counted over twenty from one spot.  Sunday I had two
fly right over my head no more than 5 meters away!

Oh, that's bear, not beer.

Ken Norton
Quincy Illinois

#