RE: [OM] Nature's ND Filter?

Subject: RE: [OM] Nature's ND Filter?
From: "R. Wastell" <rrw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 1998 17:47:49 -0900
        Here in the northern latitudes (58N), I have always found I need to
open at least one stop more than the "Rule" suggests. I assumed the lower
elevation of the sun was the reason. More dirty thick atmosphere to penetrate
means less light.

        Has anyone seen any research on this subject? Perhaps a measurement of
the average foot-candles at solar noon for various latitudes would be in order.
Do I hear any volunteers? I would be willing to graph the data and superimpose
it over the waveforms of the Olympus shutter sounds to see if there is a
correlation.;)

        Bob