Re: [OM] Collar for 2X + 200mm

Subject: Re: [OM] Collar for 2X + 200mm
From: "Marco" <tom@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 28 Jan 98 08:02:31 +0100
On Mar, 27 gen 1998 16:08, Andre  Goforth <mailto:goforth@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
>Olympiads,
>
>I have found that the 2X converter and the 200mm lens is a bit awkward
when
>the camera is mounted on a tripod.  I have to really crank down on the
>tripod and head screws else I  get creep. When I try to use a Minolta
>panorama head  it sags a bit to much for comfort.  And if I try to make
>changes in the position of the camera vertically then it is a real
nuisance.

>What solutions do any of you, fellow Olympiads, use for this setup?  I
went
>to a large, "professional" camera store and was told that there aren't any
>generic lens collars on the market!  I saw in Bogen's catalog that they
>make a telephoto support/harness but I haven't seen one in a store. Does
it
>require a lens collar that is built in to the lens to attach to?
>
>I haven't see anything in Porter's catalog.
>
>Does/Did Olympus make anything along these lines?
>
>Andre
>San Carlos, CA
>USA

These days I am using a S*gma 300 f/4 and it is wonderful, very easy to
focus. It has a rotating-how-much-you-want collar. I guess the 400 f/5,6 is
the same. In Italy there are a couple of photo handcraftmen who make a kind
of tool as you need. It was intended for use on relatively big bright
professional zooms and it consists of a screwed and threaded base to mount
between tripod head and camera, and a bracket going under and around the
lens (as a "hand") which  "grasps" it firmly. It is costly but they say it
is worth.

Marco

#
# For questions email: owner-olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx