Re: [OM] Nature's ND Filter?

Subject: Re: [OM] Nature's ND Filter?
From: "Ulf Westerberg" <ulf.westerberg@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 1998 17:41:25 +0100
Ken Norton wrote:

>I've been out photographing eagles this week and have been mystified by my
>meters.
>
>The Sunny-16 rule states that on a bright sunny day you can use F16 at
>1/ISO.  I'm using Fujichrome 50 so that means that it should be
>approximatily F16 at 1/60.

Using this rule with Velvia means underexposure with 1/2 -1 stop. I have
never got a good exposure following this rule, neither in the Mojave
Californian Desert nor Scandinavian blue skies or anywhere when shooting
Velvia. However, when using Sensia/Provia results are far better, though
still a bit underexposed. Velvia is not a true ISO 50 film, IMO. If I rate
Velvia at 50 (which I do) I have to rate Sensia/Provia at ISO 125.

>Supposedly the sunny-16 rule is applicable anywhere on earth in any season.
> In my experience this isn't necessarily so.  I have almost always ended up
>going down one stop in the wintertime. (unless I am capturing snow detail).
>
>Now here is the mystery:  This winter, I've been running at least two stops
>down. This is confirmed by multiple cameras and processed slide film.

??????????

>Are we experiencing a "nuclear winter" or was there some big volcano this
>year (other than 'Dantes Peak'), that has reduced solar illumination?  In
>all of my years of photographing, I've never seen this much variation from
>the norm since Mt. Penitubo (sic) blew it's top off.

Forest fires of Southeast Asia?

>BTW, the eagles are back.  I've been able to get within 20 meters without
>any problems or using blinds.  I came across six in one tree!  ...oh, for a
>big lens...

:-( :-( Seen it, experienced it so many times, why are American birds not
shy? I have portraits taken with 200mm of californian Great Blue Herons. The
equivalent species here, Grey Heron, is known to everyone as one of the most
nervous creatures on earth! Sigh.

We have our fair share of wintering (and breeding for the first time ever)
golden eagles in this southern part of the country(Scania). Their comfort
distance is more like 200 meters. You would need a 6000mm lens for that. I'd
be the luckiest guy in heaven if I had eagles at 20 meters distance.
Hey wait, come to think of it, I have done that, wedge-tails in the Aussie
outback! And boy was I lucky!

Good eagle (and other) shooting
Ulf Westerberg

#