Re: [OM] New OM Preference Votes Received to Date

Subject: Re: [OM] New OM Preference Votes Received to Date
From: Tomoko Yamamoto <tomokoy@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 1998 11:04:16 -0800
At 09:28 PM 1/28/98 -0800, I wrote:
>With three e-mails I received this afternoon, the number of votes cast is
>81. There is still the silent majority out there, but I hope that most
>of you who are concerned about the future of the OM series have voted.

The latest count is 84.

Because one of the e-mails I received had some legitimate criticism about my questions, I would like to explain my questions based on not only the criticism I just received but also my observation of where the votes are.

1. Which one of the new OM bodies (OM reissues with possibly a few new
features, a. one under $500, b. one ca. $700, and c. an OM-5 under $1500)
would you buy in the next 2-5 years? Just one or two or all three? (You have to ask
your own pocketbook and your buying habit.)

My comments:
The criticism was about my designation of a brand new OM body as the OM-5. The odd-number OM has been an all-manual camera, he pointed out. I had never thought of that. Whatever the number Olympus will assign is their problem, but what I am concerned here is a brand-new OM, the next-step up from the OM-4Ti. I doubt that most of us are looking for the updating of the OM-3Ti now.

Some people did vote for an improved/reissued OM2SP.

What I am mainly interested here is the price range of any reissued/new OM bodies we feel comfortable buying. Although I do not have count of votes, I say that those who sent in their votes
are interested in a $700-range OM-4 or a $1500 OM-new.

2.Would you like to have an autofocusing OM-x? (Be very honest. You don't
need to be realistic here.)

My comments:
There have been several different answers. There are those who said that they are not interested in having an autofocus OM period and those who said they would like an AF OM because they expect that Olympus could give them a magical, compact autofocusing OM. Some are interested in an AF OM like the Contax AX so that Zuiko lenses can be autofocused. Some are interested only if manual Zuiko lenses can be used in their manual mode.

3. Would you be willing to have a somewhat larger OM body so that several
new features may be accommodated?

I probably should have qualified "somewhat". Some of those who said yes/no indicated conditional yes/no in that they would accept a very small increase.

Some people have indicated the percentage. They range from 5/6 % to 20%. To give you a guideline of what that volume increase would mean, the OM2000 has a volume increase of 70ver the 4T while the discontinued OM77AF has a volume increase of 14%.

4. What is the single most important feature of the OM body that you would
like to see retained? Please narrow your preferences down to the single
feature. I will not count those votes with two items here.

Regarding this question, the criticism I received was that it is impossible to name a single feature. The only thing I can say is that this is the type of the desert island disk/book question.

A number of people indicated system compatibility to be their most important feature. Other answers have been size, compactness, design philosophy in no particular order.

All the questions are important, and I believe the answers will give me a
guideline as to how to put together a petition to Olympus Japan.

If you are still interested in participating, please read the following before you send in your vote.

If possible, omit the text of questions and leave just the question numbers
and then enter your answers. That way, I don't need to do a lot of editing
and save space in my mailbox.

Please send you answers directly to me as soon as possible.

Here is my e-mail address: mailto:tomokoy@xxxxxxxxx

Thanks.

Tomoko Yamamoto
Photographer, Composer, Soprano
mailto:tomokoy@xxxxxxxxx
http://www.charm.net/~tomokoy/
-All the photos (except panorama) with OM's-
http://ep.com/ep/csp.html?csp=1130
-Olympus Equipment Classifieds-
################################################################## # This message was delivered via the Olympus Mailing List # To receive the Olympus Digest send mail to: listserv@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx # with subscribe olympus-digest in the message body. # # To unsubscribe from the current list send a message to # listserv@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx with unsubscribe olympus in the message body. # # For questions email: owner-olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ##################################################################