Re: [OM] Birds-

Subject: Re: [OM] Birds-
From: Tomoko Yamamoto <tomokoy@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 1998 13:49:04 -0800
At 01:20 PM 1/30/98 -0800, John Gardner wrote:
>Tomoko Yamamoto wrote:
>
>> Alternative to the US, might be Japan.
>
>Dead right. This is a top destination for UK birders, but again the cold,
>freezing months are best when the cranes and Steller's Sea Eagles move in.
But as I have said before, there are places other than Hokkaido. While it is true that the particular cranes you have in mind and Steller's Sea Eagles are seen in the cold and snowy Hokkaido, the other species of cranes come to Kagoshima and a few other southern prefectures. Look at this page. One of the smaller crane pictures can be enlarged. These cranes are in Southern Japan.

http://www2a.meshnet.or.jp/~uchi_a/turu/turu.html (Kagoshima Prefeccture)
http://www.urban.or.jp/home/moritach/ (Yamaguchi Prefecture)

According to the information (not on this page) I read in Japanesse, the number of the cranes
which come to this particular locale in Kagoshima is several thousands. The cranes (mainly two species, Grus monacha and Grus vipio) start arriving in October and stay there until March. They have a crane museum. The name of this town is Izumi and is located in Kagoshima Prefecture. The place should be definitely warmer now than the place where you live.

The cranes you had in mind are:http://www.hokkai.or.jp/kusiro_c/tancho.html

These are resident cranes in Tancho Natural Park in Hokkaido.

Tomoko Yamamoto
Photographer, Composer, Soprano
mailto:tomokoy@xxxxxxxxx
http://www.charm.net/~tomokoy/
-All the photos (except panorama) with OM's-
http://ep.com/ep/csp.html?csp=1130
-Olympus Equipment Classifieds-
################################################################## # This message was delivered via the Olympus Mailing List # To receive the Olympus Digest send mail to: listserv@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx # with subscribe olympus-digest in the message body. # # To unsubscribe from the current list send a message to # listserv@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx with unsubscribe olympus in the message body. # # For questions email: owner-olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ##################################################################