Re: [OM] Cross pol filter for ring flash + scales instead of feathers

Subject: Re: [OM] Cross pol filter for ring flash + scales instead of feathers
From: Andre Goforth <goforth@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 1998 21:47:03 -0800
David wrote:

>> Hello John - the ring cross polariser fits on to the macro ring flash T10.
>> It contains two polarisers at right angles to each other (ie crossed), one
>> covering the lens and the other the ring flash. This should mean that
>> reflections of the flash with a reflective subject do not occur on film.

Aha!

Do  I have  the secret to being a Jacque Cousteau photographer while being
squarely planted at the side of an aquarium.  I have a passion for
photographing at the Monetery Aquarium. Only a few exhibits have "no flash"
.  (I've had some luck shooting with available light w/90mm f2) The only
marginally successful flash shots have be with a macro lens and T32 on a
bounce grip pressed flat against the aquarium. Nice feature of the T32 on a
bounce grip and the 50mm 3.5 macro  is that they are very close in the same
plane so it is easy to get them both flat up against the glass. You can
nudge the grip and rotate the T32 a little to accommodate the changes in
focus on the macro.

It sounds like the ring flash and cross pol filter would do wonders  in
getting rid of reflections in the wall of the aquarium?

Any body have experiences in using these or similar setups in aquarium
photography?

One shot that I particularly like occurred when the flash bounced off the
back of the aquarium and illuminated the fish right next to me at the
glass.  The problem I find is I can't predict how bad flash will be aborbed
or reflected in the glass wall.

Egad though........how much are these puppies!  I 'll look on the web. I'd
like to hear of any tricks you may wish to share on aquarium photography.
It beats freezing you rear off waiting for birds in Michigan; you can get a
hot meal anytime you want and you don't have to haul your stuff from here
to kingdom come.

#
# For questions email: owner-olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx