Re: [OM] Commercial Advertising

Subject: Re: [OM] Commercial Advertising
From: Garth Wood <garth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 31 Jan 1998 21:33:56 -0700
At 07:11 PM 1/31/98 -0800, Winsor Crosby wrote:

[snip]

>I don't know about others, but when I have wanted something to add to my
>already groaning camera bag it is damned difficult to find someone who has
>a good selection of  Olympus OM used or new equipment at a reasonable
>price. Even classified ads usually have an old OM, a normal lens, and some
>"nothing" 3d party zoom. So, I appreciate it, if some dealer has taken a
>special interest in my camera and stocks not only the usual stuff, but some
>of the stuff that only 1 in a 100 calls enquire about. And if someone is
>trying to solve a problem like this cord everyone is talking about to use a
>SunPak flash off the hotshoe, and people are recounting how they haven't
>seen one for years or how they made one, then I do not mind if said
>interested specialty dealer says, "Hey, I have some of these." That is
>a_service_, not an intrusion.
>
>I apologize if I have not been part of the list long enough to see some
>offensive marketing which could have happened.

I second Winsor's attitude.  It's a service, and a lot less intrusive than
all those damned "free live sex" ads in my e-mail inbox that I didn't even
*ask* for ('sides, we all know that sex is never "free"...  ;-).

Unfortunately, "offensive," like "beauty," is in the eyes of the beholder.
I haven't found anything here to date "offensive."

Perhaps Shawn Wright would be interested in weighing in with his opinion,
since he's the man who's running Zuiko at Shawnigan Lake School, and thus
is the "host" of this mailing list.

Peace, folks.

Garth Wood

P.S.: Uh, I'll regret this ("mebbe not today, mebbe not tomorrow, but soon,
and for the rest of my life..."), but I'm still willing to do the Web-based
site of photo submissions from people on (or off!) this mailing list.
Shawn's already offered Zuiko's Web and ftp space (I can also offer Kaska,
a little number I'm running off of the Alberta backbone, in case Shawn
doesn't want to maintain his offer).  We should set up a referree board for
submissions.

#
# For questions email: owner-olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx