Re: [OM] screens

Subject: Re: [OM] screens
From: Richard Schätzl <Richard.Schaetzl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 01 Feb 1998 18:53:07 +0100
Ulf Westerberg wrote:

> If you're using slow lenses as 4.5, 5.6, 6.3 etc the benefit is enormous.

In fact, the new screens show a much finer surface structure, which is
obvious with slower lenses. It´s like a microprism screen, just much
finer (100 times?) and it will not black out with smaller apertures.
In contrary, it gives you a brigther finder image. With the normal
screens, you will notice, that the microprism, split image center is
much brighter then the surrounding, not with the new screens, the matte
area is as bright as split image and microprism area.

Under high contrast, good iluminated situations the focusing is much
better, because of the "microprism" structure, the focus will "snap in".
You will have a clear indication of focus, no need for split image or
microprisms.

> If you have 2.0 lenses the benefits are not so great. One member of this
> list also complained about the difficulty when using slow wide-angles.

It´s generaly difficult to focus wide angle lenses just with the help of
a matte screen. Under good ilumination conditions,I liked the "snap in"
efect of the new screens. Under worse conditions (low contrast, dark)
this efect disapears and I found it dificult to find the focus because
the screen is to fine.
With the normal screens, there was no danger to focus through the focus.
Split screen and microprism helped to focus much more, in this
situation, then the matte area of either screen.

> I personally prefer the 2-4 without anything at all in the middle, always
> center focusing your subjects is a beginners sin in photography and this
> screen helps you avoiding that.

I find off center focusing difficult, because the corners of the finder
image aren´t as sharp as the center.

Richard

#
# For questions email: owner-olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx