Re: [OM] screens

Subject: Re: [OM] screens
From: Andre Goforth <goforth@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 1 Feb 1998 12:32:43 -0800
Winsor ,

You wrote:

>Andre,
>
>Do you have any trouble focussing? I read an article in which this guy made
>all these arguments that the more brightness enhanced the screen the more
>difficult to focus. He really took Beatty to task. I was very interested up
>until then. What is your experience?
>
>Winsor
>Long Beach, CA
>
>>Steve,
>>
>>Consider the Beatty screens for the OM4. They cost around $65. Check B&H
>>and other mail order houses. I really like mine. They are very brigh--as
>>bright as any of the Olympus screens--t and give correct exposure.
>>
>>Andre
>>San Carlos, CA
>>USA
>>

>>>Dumb question time again.  My OM4T has whatever default screen it came
>>>with, back in the mid to late 80's when I bought it (split image +
>>>wholly useless microprism ring(*) + matte elsewhere).  I hear, every
>>>now and then, about the bold new world of bright screens, and wonder
>>>what I'm missing.  Is the 2-13 a brighter screen?  How does it compare
>>>with the Beattie screens?

REPLY:

I find the Beatty screens a lot easier to use than the default  OM4T
screen. I have one with the hatched lines for "architectural" pics and one
that is clear. Both have a center circle that shows the spot metering area.
( I assume that the Beatty matches the OM spec on the size of the circle.
It appears so by sight, but I haven't done any exact measurements and  the
spot metering  appears to work in spec.)  I got into Beatty screens mainly
on the strength of the recommendations on this list, particularly Mike
Covington's. I don't know if he uses them in astrophotography but it seems
that he uses all the equipment at its limits.

One of the most critical areas for me of a camera  is the view screen. I
had a OM1N for years and cursed it on occasion because of the dim view.  It
was no fault of the OM, I didn't avail myself to the alternative screens
especially after I bought a Kiron zoom and couldn't see out the damn thing.
So one lesson learned is to match the screen to the application.  ( If
money was no object, I would buy Oly's best, the new 2-X? and another
Beatty.)

I am considering buying another Beatty that has a split/micro  prism; if
it, as a split, is at a 45 degree angle ( horizontals suck!) The reason is
that for some applications such as focal lengths such as 90mm in relative
close distances it would be nice to zero in on the eye of a person real
quick while they are moving around...( 4 year olds playing). However, if
the micro prism  dims at f3.5 like the standard Olympus ones then I will
pass. I hate trying to focus with a darkened center!

Please send me the reference to the article you read complaints about the
Beatty or bright screens in general. Or I will cover you postage and copy
costs if you are inclined to send it to me.

Finally, you asked do I have trouble focusing?  Ha ha ha....yes with and
without auto focus. To me focusing is one of the most important aspects of
taking pictures. I see a lot of point and shoot shots, mine and that of
others, that are perfect but predictable and boring. Yes, with manual focus
I screw up at times where a AF wouldn't but then manual focusing takes
practice like playing an instrument. Focusing with different lens has to be
practiced too!

In summary, I find the brighter the view screen the more enjoyable is
picture taking and it significantly helps me with focusing.

Andre
San Carlos, CA
USA

#