Re: [OM] screens

Subject: Re: [OM] screens
From: Ken Norton <kenorton@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 02 Feb 1998 14:18:24 -0600
>> >(*) I have found objects, here and there, that I could actually focus on
>> >using the microprism.  But for some reason they were never objects I
>> >wanted to take pictures of.

I use three different screens in my OMs.

An all matte screen is my standard screen of choise as there isn't anything
wierd in the viewfinder to screw up my compositions. I find the standard
focus screen to be obnoxious and unusable as the focus aides distract you
and "cover up" a vast proportion of the screen.  Unfortunately, the matte
screen is difficult to focus in low light and in some fast action photography.

I use a microprism/matte screen (whatever number that is) in the OM-2(md)
and OM-1.  I learned how to use microprisms ages ago and prefer them to any
other focus aid except the all-matte screen.  However, I can't use the
microprism with any lens slower than 2.8.

The third screen is the clear screen with microprism spot for use with long
telephoto lenses.  The angles on the microprism are slightly different
which allow the spot to be usable with lenses in the 5.6 - 8.0 arena.  This
screen is BRIGHT but barely usable for moving subjects.  Of course there is
no DOF checking with this screen.  I've tried to use this focus screen for
bird photography with poor results as I can't track flying birds well
enough to hold them on the center spot for focusing.  Eagles looking for
chow rarely fly in straight lines.

I wish Olympus made a focus screen similar to one that Nikon made.  It is
totally microprismed.  This screen was origionally for sports photographers
with long lenses.  When in focus the image will SNAP in the viewfinder.
Takes a lot of getting used to though.

Ken Norton

#
# For questions email: owner-olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx