Re: [OM] What long telephotos should I buy?

Subject: Re: [OM] What long telephotos should I buy?
From: Richard Schätzl <Richard.Schaetzl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 03 Feb 1998 23:22:38 +0100
Ulf Westerberg wrote:

> Gary Schloss wrote:
>

> >Finally, I am currently investigating long telephotos by Novoflex
> >(Germany) and Century Precision Optics (USA). Anyone cares to weigh
> >in on any of these three?
>
> The number of great bird-piccies made here in Sweden using Novoflexes are
> astounding. This was the most used bird-lens on Nikon's and Oly's etc. well
> into the late 80's. I've never used one myself as they are VERY bulky with
> their shoulder and pistol-grip attachement (though being a modest 400/5.6),
> but obviously they deliver very sharp results in the center of the image,
> while corner sharpness is quite bad. This doesn't scare most
> bird-photographers very much, as this adds to the out-of-focus effect. I've
> even seen brochures for these the last years, probably still selling!

I once had one Novoflex lens, the old model with just one grip and the 2
element lens.
The Novoflex pistol grip lenses are actualy no tele lenses, cause there
length is equal to there focal lenght. That´s the reason why they are
that bulky, but you can disasemble them very easy in smaller parts. This
lenses are very robust and you will have no problem to focus at very low
or very high temperatures.
They are not only bulky but weighty too, I would recomend the use of a
monopod.
Focusing is very fast, if you trained enough, it´s not easy to hold the
focus against the tension of the pistol grip spring.
Due to there optical construction, they are achromats, they have a
curved focal level, that means, that on a given focal distance, the
corner focal level will be nearer to the photographer than the center
level. That´s normaly no problem because you´re photographing three
dimensional objects.
The "new" 3 element 400mm Novoflex lens is a flat field lens and hasn´t
this problem.

Richard

#
# For questions email: owner-olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx