[OM] More OM2SP battery thoughts

Subject: [OM] More OM2SP battery thoughts
From: gknight@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Gareth Knight)
Date: Thu, 05 Feb 1998 00:23:55 GMT
People,

After an earlier post regarding the short life of the batteries in my
OM2SP with the T32 attached, John Hermanson suggested a modification
to allow the flash ready LED in the viewfinder to be powered by the
flash rather than the camera batteries.  Given that I live in the UK,
John said that any Olympus Service centre could do the modification.
I rang one up yesterday and got an interesting answer:

The man said that he didn't know of such a modification, but that in
his experience the problem was easily solved.  Apparently, the OM2SP
has a built in safety measure that was designed to allow the camera to
cope with the high power Lithium batteries that had became available.
Since these were of higher power than the #357 silver oxide batteries
it was designed for, things like the light meter did not work
properly.  The manual said only use the silver oxide batteries, but
assuming that some people would ignore this, they built in a device to
drain Lithium batteries to the same level as Silver oxide batteries to
make the camera work properly.  The man said that sometimes this
circuit needed to be reset, or else it erroneously drained Silver
Oxide batteries because it thought they were of too high a power.
This can be done by pulling the lever to battery check for ten seconds
when you put a new set of batteries in.  This apparently overrides the
draining circuit and turns it off.

Any comments ?  I have not seen mention of this anywhere.

Gareth.

#
# For questions email: owner-olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx