[OM] Beattie Screen for macro work

Subject: [OM] Beattie Screen for macro work
From: George Ling <master@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 04 Feb 1998 16:42:37 -0800
Michael Covington wrote in Olympus FAQ (copy below) that he prefers
Beattie screen for macro, astro and telephoto work, and he likes one
with grids over the plain one.

Would anyone know are there other patterns beside plain and grid, and
where can I get one for my 2n? I checked out B&H webpages, they don't
seem to list any Beattie screen in their OM pages.

Thanks in advance!

========================

   Microprism and split-image screens work only at f/4 or faster.
        They are handy for everyday photography with normal lenses.

        For long telephotos, macro work, astrophotography, and other
        situations ranging from f/4 to about f/100, use a plain matte
        screen.  Olympus makes one, but I prefer the Beattie Intenscreen,
        a third-party product that costs about $70 and is worth every
        penny.  It's extra-fine and extra-bright.  Despite Beattie's
        warnings, it does not seem to throw off the meter accuracy in
        my OM-1 or OM-2S.

        The Beattie Intenscreen is available with or without a grid
        printed on it.  I find the grid handy for orienting the camera;
        for keeping my eye focused on the screen; for focusing the
        Varimagni Finder; and for judging distortion in lenses.
        (The Olympus finder seems to have a little pincushion distortion
        of its own, which has fooled me once or twice.)

        In setups slower than f/100, such as photomicrography, use the
        Olympus matte screen with clear cross-hairs center.  It's the only
        screen you'll be able to see an image in.  I have done this.

        Thanks to Michael Covington <mcovingt@xxxxxxxxxx>

#
# For questions email: owner-olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx