Re: [OM] Glue-Problem

Subject: Re: [OM] Glue-Problem
From: kyu@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Volkhart Baumgaertner)
Date: Thu, 05 Feb 1998 01:02:13 GMT
Yo,

>Try any type of brown rubber cement (not clear  rubber cement used in art
>classes). If the directions on the package recommend "coating both surfaces,
>allowing to dry a few minutes, then press together" then it's probably okay to
>use.  Peal leatherette up further  and clean the camera casting underneath, it
>is probably covered with the old glue from the leatrher.  Then try to curl the
>leather back in the opposite direction  before gluing down.  If you don't do
>this, the "memory" of the curl may cause it to pull up again rather quickly.
>
>John
>Camtech

Thanks for all the advice I got from several people. I finally took John's,
and here's what I did:
I got myself something called "Profilgummikleber" (literally: profile rubber
cement), made by a company named PETEC. The stuff is transparent, but not
water-clear, rather a light amber. According to the instructions it is for
gluing rubber profiles, solid rubber, foam rubber, leather, linen, felt,
natural rubber, hard PVC, or butyl rubber to wood, aluminum, steel, or
cement fiber slabs.
I removed the leatherette completely (except for the piece around the self
timer lever; I only lifted its edges) and peeled off a strip of the original
glue along all edges. I used naphtha to remove the old glue residues from
the camera casing and then applied a thin coat of cement to both the edges
of the leatherette and the according areas of the casing (the old glue in
the middle of the leatherette pieces - which looks to me as if they were
self-adhesive - was still in a very good condition, so I left it where it
was). After letting dry for about 10 minutes (the instructions on the box
say 10 - 15) I pressed the parts together. Then I used naphtha again to
remove the excess glue around the edges.
As, never having done this before, I worked really carefully and did piece
by piece of the leatherette, the whole thing took me a bit over an hour and
a half, but what I've got here now looks like a solid EX+ OM-2. Not bad for
under $ 140.- (especially on this side of the great pond). :-)))))))))

MtFbwy,
Volkhart

--
Volkhart Baumgaertner     email: kyu@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx