Re: [OM] More OM2SP battery thoughts

Subject: Re: [OM] More OM2SP battery thoughts
From: Clive Warren <Clive.Warren@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 6 Feb 1998 14:44:52 +0100
At 12:23 am +0000 5/2/98, Gareth Knight wrote:

>People,
>
>After an earlier post regarding the short life of the batteries in my
>OM2SP with the T32 attached, John Hermanson suggested a modification
>to allow the flash ready LED in the viewfinder to be powered by the
>flash rather than the camera batteries.  Given that I live in the UK,
>John said that any Olympus Service centre could do the modification.
>I rang one up yesterday and got an interesting answer:
>
>The man said that he didn't know of such a modification, but that in
>his experience the problem was easily solved.  Apparently, the OM2SP
>has a built in safety measure that was designed to allow the camera to
>cope with the high power Lithium batteries that had became available.
>Since these were of higher power than the #357 silver oxide batteries
>it was designed for, things like the light meter did not work
>properly.  The manual said only use the silver oxide batteries, but
>assuming that some people would ignore this, they built in a device to
>drain Lithium batteries to the same level as Silver oxide batteries to
>make the camera work properly.  The man said that sometimes this
>circuit needed to be reset, or else it erroneously drained Silver
>Oxide batteries because it thought they were of too high a power.
>This can be done by pulling the lever to battery check for ten seconds
>when you put a new set of batteries in.  This apparently overrides the
>draining circuit and turns it off.
>
>Any comments ?  I have not seen mention of this anywhere.

The man is clearly an alien - probably stranded here after the Hale-Bopp
incident when his fellow creatures tried to dump a whole load of alien
artefacts disguised as OM5s from a ship hidden in the comet tail.  He was
the one responsible for marketing the "grey" imports and failed miserably.

As a result of this Olympus quickly launched the OM2000.  OM marketing
chiefs wanted to call it the 2001 and play on the alien connection, but the
sales managers refused to try and sell the story to Joe Public so it was
called the OM2000.

Through subterfuge and knowledge gained from stripping down real OM
products to manufacture the fakes, the alien took on a different human form
so as not to be recognised and talked its way into a job with a recognised
OM Service Centre. The alien is now changing the greys into OM4s and
OM4Tis.

Warning, this alien is dangerous.  Do not leave your camera with it for
CLA.  What really worries me is that the alien is living in the UK.  Name
of company please Gareth.

All the best,

              Clive   http://clive.bel-epa.com

#