Re: [OM] OM4Ti macro flash capabilities

Subject: Re: [OM] OM4Ti macro flash capabilities
From: "Ulf Westerberg" <ulf.westerberg@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 9 Feb 1998 10:59:01 +0100
Robert Ashdown wrote:
>Re recent discussion on whether the OM4Ti is less capable than the OM2N
>for TTL macro flash.
>
>I am interested in this as I was hoping to acquire an OM4Ti andd would
>be using it for a lot of macro flash. I currently use a T32 off camera
>with OM2N, often very close to tjhe subject (down to about 15-20cm) and
>have never had any over-exposure problem.
>
>Does anyone else out there know if the OM4Ti has less ability to shut
>off flash in such situations than an OM2N? If so, I'm in a bind - I'd
>like spot metering but need good macro TTL capability. perhaps I should
>just buy a couple more OM2Ns and hope they hold out over the next 20(!?)
>years (and buy a spot-meter)?
>
>Any ideas welcome!
>
>Thanks
>Robert Ashdown
>Australia

Hi Robert

Well, I can't speak for the OM2(N) as I 've only had and used OM4's. I've
used about the same setup as you and others of this list, double T32's with
TTL cables, sometimes a single T32 and T18 as slave (full power).
Some years ago I was quite active shooting aquarium fish, breeding catfishes
etc. for magazines and I was always very content with the results. I've used
apertures between 5.6 and 32. One thing I've found is that there's a strong
tendency towards overexposure, so I routinely compensate -2/3, ISO 100 slide
film set to 100, but then calibrating your camera to different exposures,
film is a very personal thing. By doing this results are just perfect. If
the OM4 has shut off flashes too early, well, I've never ever noticed it. I
certainly don't feel I need an OM2!

I've shot thousands of these piccies and it has worked great for me.

BTW, I've never used this outdoors, so much technique, cables to carry etc.
Puh! But your and John G's recent postings made me curious, I'll probably
have a go at it as soon as we get any insects here!

Ulf Westerberg

#
# For questions email: owner-olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx