Re: [OM] Battery Question, Again (Was: OM4 Question)

Subject: Re: [OM] Battery Question, Again (Was: OM4 Question)
From: Garth Wood <garth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 09 Feb 1998 12:38:20 -0700
At 09:25 AM 2/9/98 -0800, Dan Lau <dlau@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

[snip]

>So it seems there are two distinct types of "SR44" batteries,
>those of the *357 variety and those of the *76 variety.  I've
>never paid too much attention to that before, as they are all
>SR44 equivalents.
>
>My question is:  Is there any difference between the *357
>variety and the *76 variety?  Or should I continue to just
>get whatever kind is available and ignore the type.  Given
>that there are two distinct ANSI spec's listed, there must
>be some differences between the two varieties.  Does one
>perform better than the other in an Olympus camera?  Thanks.
>       -Dan

To the best of my understanding, the chemistry and rated voltage are
identical, but the 357 and the MS76 have different internal resistances
(1,000 and 1,500 ohms, respectively, with drains of 1.5 and 1.0mAh,
respectively), which means that, if the camera momentarily requires a
relatively high drain to perform a function, the 357-series will better
handle such a momentary requirement.  As I've understood the gist of
discussions here in the past, having a more limited current drain ability
has caused some OM-series cameras, particularly the OM-2S(P), to fail or
behave erratically when powered by MS76 batteries.

Interestingly enough, I've used alkalines with my OM-4 for years, and I
have yet to perceive either (a) an incorrect meter reading in either manual
or auto mode, or (b) erratic behaviour of any kind.  Possibly I've just
been lucky, I dunno.  In any case, I *always* remove my batteries from the
camera whenever the camera gets put away, even if I think I'll be taking
the camera out again tomorrow.

Garth

"They can have my private [encryption] key when they pry it from my cold,
dead fingers."

   -- John Perry Barlow, co-founder
      Electronic Freedom Foundation