Re: [OM] Article on OM series

Subject: Re: [OM] Article on OM series
From: PCACala@xxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 1998 02:20:09 EST
Hi David:

Thanks for passing along the article.  It is nice to see a plug for the
Olympus OM system, even if the article is biased.

I can't agree with the author that the lenses remained constant over time.  SC
vs. multicoating changed, close-up aberration correction may have changed
(i.e., 28 mm f/2.0), the formula of the 50 mm f/1.8 changed (for one of five
possible examples).

I would argue the statement that "Olympus OM lenses share with Leica M the
quality of showing their history - if you use them heavily, they wear a bit
slack and look very scruffy but still deliver the goods."  I hardly own a lens
that hasn't been in for repair due to heavy use, and all my bodies have been
in repeatedly.  Or, "If you keep them carefully they retain mint condition
regardless of any amount of handling."  Yikes, what is carefully?  You got to
be willing to sink money into repair if you use this lightweight system.

How about this contradiction:
"OM cameras show wear and tear effortlessly, particularly if black."
versus
"OM-2SP bodies only came in black, and the black didn't stay on for very long.
All OM camera backs which have a film box end holder tend to look scruffy.
The black comes straight off the hinges, the edges and the reminder frame.
it's not very good at staying on the body, either." AND "if you buy near-mint
kit to use, it may not retain its value, because the black paint finish does
not last well."
Makes me wonder if this was edited by a copyreader?  And what about the better
wear resistance of the OM-3TI versus the OM-4TI ??

"The 'Program' mode of the SP has to be the strangest hybrid ever - the camera
appears to be able to set the aperture and shutter speed simultaneously
although there is no way in which it can do so."  Hum, what does that mean?
The combination at any given light level and for a given focal length length
lens is programmed into electronic memory - that's how.

Gary Reese
Las Vegas, NV