Re: [OM] OM-2000 Finally got mine

Subject: Re: [OM] OM-2000 Finally got mine
From: George Anderson <gma@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 09 Feb 1998 23:29:07 -0800

SGOGGIN.AU.ORACLE.COM wrote:

> Hello All,
>
>  I finally got my OM2000 a few days ago.   My first impressions are that it
> is
> a nice camera to use,  I don't like the shutter speed on the top of the
> camera.  It's especially a pain in teh ass to use whilst having to press the
> shutter button to see the meter.
>
> <snip>
>
> Anyway have some good Oly fun.
>
> Stuart

Stuart;

Glad you've got a NEW Olympus to use (for under $1K).  Enjoy the multi-exposure
feature.  It's too bad everything (affordable)
is made so cheaply these days. You've compared the 2000 to the 10 in much the
same way I'd compare the 10 to the 1.  Is this
progress?

And, do I understand from your post that one must hold the shutter release 1/2
way down to get the meter to work and that the
meter goes off when button is released? Oh, if that's true, it must be a real
pain to try to adjust fully manual exposure ,
shutter on top, aperture on lens, while holding down the button.

I looked at the 2000 for the first time last week. Keeble & Shuchart here in
Palo Alto carries it. It had the small zoom on
it.  One positive impression it made on me was it is extremely lightweight.
Great for backpacking.  I didn't really check it
out carefully in other terms.  The salesman, though, did the same thing that
another salesman in this store did when I went in
to look at the IS-3. They both showed me the Olympus, then after about 10
seconds, they grabbed a Pentax ZX-whatever and tried
to sell it to me. "Better camera for the money," he says, "the Pentax also
includes a case and, check out this Phoenix zoom
lens!" I said "But it won't take my Zuiko lenses." "Oh."  he says.  "You're
stuck with the Olympus then."  Well, that's one
way to look at it.  But why did both salesmen do the same thing?  Anyone else
had similar experiences?

george