Re: [OM] Repro question

Subject: Re: [OM] Repro question
From: "John Petrush" <jpetrush@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 1998 19:04:58 -0500
With the extension tubes, you can get "ok" results with the 50mm lens.  A
macro lens would be much better.  You will have to stop it all the way down,
and there will still probably be some center-to-edge focus problems.  I
prefer to use tungsten lights for this kind of work because I can see any
odd reflections on the print surface.  With flash, you can only see them
when you get them back :(.

If you have a local lab that can do black and white, then use Kodak Tech Pan
film, or Panatomic-X if you can find it.  Both are very low speed (ISO 25)
and nearly grainless.  Then the prints can be toned to match the originals
(assuming they are toned, of course).

Where I live there isn't a lab that does B&W.  If that is the case for you
too, then you are forced to use color film.  Get the lowest ISO speed you
can find - Ektar 25 was great stuff but I think its "discontinued".
According to Kodak's web page, the current low speed color film is Gold 100.
You'll also need an 80B filter (with 3400K photofloods) or 80A (with normal
tungsten bulbs) or you'll end up with an awful yellow cast to the print.

Given the dimension estimates provided, the image size is not going to
enlarge to 8x10 evenly.  Tell the printer to make the enlargements
full-frame, then you can trim to a finished size yourself.

Good luck :)

John P