[OM] Newcomer questions...

Subject: [OM] Newcomer questions...
From: Mike Lipphardt <liphardt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 1998 17:18:07 -0500
Greetings;

I just subscribed to this list, and I did so with the aim of digging up
some information.  I am a Maxxum shooter, which systems I use for weddings
and portaiture along with an (ancient) Mamiya medium format system.  But,
I'm getting tired of toting the Maxxum around (an 800si) and since I like
to carry a camera always, I stopped to look for a compact SLR with these
purposes in mind;

1)  Compact.  Olympus is famous for that.
2)  Excellent lenses.  Ditto.

The camera is intended for pleasure shooting, and most of that is done at
night; shooting lit bridges, the steel works, etc.  When I shoot the Maxxum
at night, I generally use a 50mm f1.7 or an 85mm f1.4.  So I'm looking for
lenses in this (focal length) range.  They don't necessarily have to be
that fast - a 50mm f2 will do.

Sophisticated metering is not all that important - center weighted average
is fine.

Long shutter speeds, however, are important.  4-8 seconds is about right.

I was using a Minolta MD system, but I found the 50mm f1.7 lens had a
tendency to weird halo effects around point sources of light at night.
Another camera, a Contax, with a 50mm f1.4 planar, didn't flare like that
under the same circumstances. I would have kept it, but I couldn't justify
buying lenses that cost almost as much as my entire Maxxum outfit.

On the way home today I stopped at a hole in the wall store that always
seems to have a lot of manual stuff.  They had an OM-1 in nice condition,
no hot shoe, except it was missing what appeared to be a winder cover (next
to the battery cover) and they had no lenses for it, preventing me from
giving it my usual checkout.  They were asking $200US.  Unfortunately I
fell in love with it, but was leery of buying an untestable camera with a
hole in its' baseplate (missing cover).

It also seemed to have a fairly basic display in the viewfinder, with a
simple needle in a gap, ala Pentax K1000.  I'd like to see shutter and
aperture in the finder also.

Thanks, and I look forward to more of this list.