Re: [OM] What's a RC35 and Olympus rangefinders?

Subject: Re: [OM] What's a RC35 and Olympus rangefinders?
From: "Bryant Wetzel" <ardvarrk@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 1998 02:01:42 -0700
Andre,
        I really think the price is a little high. I have seen these at $30.00
or
less in Mint- condition or better. They are a great little camera, fun to
stick in a pocket and have on hand. It does have built in metering and has
F-stop and Shutter Speed indication in the View Finder. The camera can be
used in Automatic mode where the camera selects the f-stop and you do the
shutter speeds. Or you can switch to Manual mode and select the f-stop and
the shutter speeds.
        The lens is a Zuiko 42mm f2.8 and is very sharp. The ASA settings go
from
25 to 800 and it has a hot shoe as well as a PC connector. A self timer is
included.
        At $99.00 I would expect as new with box, book and any thing that was
supposed to be packed with the camera. It should be in Mint or As New
condition or A1. Even then I would think it high. I paid $20.00 for mine
which is in B1 condition or say Mint- . The 35 RC is not an interchangeable
lens camera.
        The Olympus Ace is the first rangefinder camera from Olympus to have
interchangeable lenses. The Lens array was the 35/2.8, the 45/2.8 and the
80/5.6. This camera can be had for as little as $80.00 and with all three
lenses could bring $400.00 depending on condition. To my knowledge Olympus
did not make any rangefinders that would take the OM series of lenses. They
did make a half frame porro finder camera called the Pen F type and it has
interchangeable lenses. You can get adapters for it to take other lens
lines. I have one that allows you to use the Pentax Takamur series of Screw
Mount lenses on the Pen F/FT.
        The odd thing about the Olympus 35 RC and it's kin, the DC the ECR, and
the EC is they are not listed in Kennedy's book, nor in Mc'Keown's or in
McBrooms.
        At the $99.00 asking price I guess I would be looking for an XA type if
did not already have one.

Hope this helps,

Bryant