Re: [OM] OM Focusing Screens

Subject: Re: [OM] OM Focusing Screens
From: Ken Norton <kenorton@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 1998 09:14:15 -0600
>Has anyone had experience using the 1-5, 1-6, or 1-7 focusing screens? These
>are the ones with the microprism in the middle and the rest of the screen
>being clear field. The manual says they give a very bright image but do not
>indicate correct exposure. I'm considering using one for "snapshot" type
>grab shots, especially in low light. Is the finder image indeed brighter
>than the normal screen? How far off is the indicated exposure? Is it
>consistently off and can it be compensated for? I often shoot using manual
>so off the film readings won't help here. Thanks in advance for any and all
>help.

I have one of the "clear"+microspot screens (whatever number it is), for
use with telephoto lenses.  I have attempted to use it with other lenses
with poor results.  A wide-angle lens will cause "vignetting" in the
viewfinder and the only focus point you have is the microprism.  If only
the microprism was larger!  For snapshot type grab shots, I would consider
the "clear" (fresnel type, no matte surface) to be unusable.

As far as exposure?  Yes, I get between 1-3 stops off indicated on the OM-1
and OM-2 primarily because of what appears to be light entering the
viewfinder.  It varies so much, I can't predict just how far off it will
be.  I only use this screen on my OM-2s which doesn't meter off the finder
screen.

Recommendation:  Get a Beattie or the new 2-x series of focusing screens.
A couple 2 series screens are on my wish list.

Ken Norton