[OM] Wildlife *IN* my camera!

Subject: [OM] Wildlife *IN* my camera!
From: "Ian M. Stewart" <ims@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 1998 20:21:41 +0000
Help!

I was trying out the +3 diopter I've just bought, and something crawled
across the scene, but not on the subject.  On closer inspection it wasn't
on the diopter, nor on the lens.  It was on the viewing screen.  Off came
the lens and looking inside, it's on the back of the screen - the
pentaprism side.

It appears to be some kind of mite.  Egg shaped with the pointed end at the
front.  Six or eight legs, I'm not sure, but two clear mandibles at the
front and two trailing long feelers at the rear.  It seems somewhat
transparent with a bright light on it, but shows dark while taking a photo.
 It wanders around the screen in a random manner and nearly always turns
back when it finds the edge.  It has now disappeared, but I'm sure it is
still in there.  What if it lays eggs!  Yikes, hundreds of them?

Now this is an OM10 and doesn't have a removable screen.  I'm reluctant to
disassemble the camera for one insect.  What should I do?

I've considered cooking it in an oven, and microwaving it.  The microwave
would probably induce some high current in some fine wire and damage the
electronics.  I think the best solution is likely to be some fumigating
technique, but with what?  I need something that will poison the insect but
not mark the mirror or corode any part of the camera, and especially not
leave a deposit on anything.

What does the team think?  Am I wrong to be panicking?

__

Ian  <IMS>
                  OM Tyro - please point my lens in the right direction.
mailto:ims@xxxxxxxxxxxxx