Re: RE:[OM] Tally of OM Preference Votes

Subject: Re: RE:[OM] Tally of OM Preference Votes
From: Tomoko Yamamoto <tomokoy@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 1998 22:54:21 -0500
At 08:08 PM 2/9/98 -0500, John P
wrote:

>I see a few trends from the data you have presented. First, Olympians are
>prepared to part with a fair sum of money for a high quality camera body.
>Three quarters are prepared to spend $700 or more for a new OM body.
I am not sure that one can say three quarters because there were 40 people who said they would buy a $700 OM and 30 who said they would buy a $1500 OM overlap. The results below simply mean that less than half would buy a $700 OM and an approximately a third of those responders would buy a $1500 OM.

1. Which one of the new OM bodies (OM reissues with possibly a few new
features, a. one under $500, b. one ca. $700, and c. an OM-5 under $1500)
would you buy in the next 2-5 years? Just one or two or all three? (You
have to ask
your own pocketbook and your buying habit.)
a. one under $500
20 people would buy at least one body in this price range.
In addition: 1 conditional purchase
2 OM-2
3 OM-1
3 Maybe
b. one ca. $700 (non-Ti OM-4Ti)
40 people would buy at least one body in this price range.
In addition: 1 conditional (specific feature(s) needed)
3 OM-2
1 OM-1
6 Maybe
1 $800 improved OM-4Ti
c.OM-5 under $1500
30 people would buy an OM-5/6
In addition: 3 conditional
1 OM-3Ti with mirror lock-up
5 Maybe

<<<<

>Auto-focus is evenly split.
That is right.
> I think Olympus *might* capture our hearts (and
>wallets) with an AF model provided it stayed small and preserved our
>(sometime very heavy) investment in lenses. Roughly the same conclusion can
>be reached regarding size; slightly less than half prefer to keep the
>compact dimensions of the OM body, the "larger half" would accept *slightly*
>larger dimensions provided there was new, increased functionality as a
>result.
>The last question clearly establishes compatibility with existing
>OM components (lenses, other) and the most important single concern, closely
>followed by advanced metering and small size.
There were only twenty two, a quarter of respondents, who would like to see the total compatibility. The proportion of lens compatibility approaches a half of the respondents.

>What this all tells me is Olympus has a loyal market that is ready for a new
>model. I think Olympus is uniquely positioned to capture significant
>portions of both the traditional film and the emerging digital photography
>market if it chooses. Some clever design - a repeatedly demonstrated
>Olympus stronghold - and a strong showing with full system, top-of-the-line
>products, they could change the rules forever. My checkbook is
>ready........
I wonder how representative these 87 people who responded to my survey questions are of current OM users. This number included one outside of the list. What Olympus needs to do is to find out how they can attract back their past OM users as well as new ones by introducing something very enticing.

Tomoko Yamamoto
Photographer, Composer, Soprano
mailto:tomokoy@xxxxxxxxx
http://www.charm.net/~tomokoy/
-All the photos (except panorama) with OM's-
http://ep.com/ep/csp.html?csp=1130
-Olympus Equipment Classifieds-
############################################################ | This message was delivered via the Olympus Mailing List | To receive the Digest version send mail to: listserv@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx | with "subscribe olympus-digest" in the message body. | To unsubscribe from the current list send a message to | listserv@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx with "unsubscribe olympus" in the body. | For questions email: owner-olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx | http://Zuiko.sls.bc.ca/swright/olympuslist.html ############################################################