Re: [OM] Wildlife *IN* my camera!

Subject: Re: [OM] Wildlife *IN* my camera!
From: "Doug Nowlin" <wa5ohb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 1998 23:30:31 -0600
Ian Stewart wrote:

>It appears to be some kind of mite.  Egg shaped with the pointed end at the
>front.  Six or eight legs, I'm not sure, but two clear mandibles at the
>front and two trailing long feelers at the rear.  It seems somewhat
>transparent with a bright light on it, but shows dark while taking a photo.
> It wanders around the screen in a random manner and nearly always turns
>back when it finds the edge.  It has now disappeared, but I'm sure it is
>still in there.  What if it lays eggs!  Yikes, hundreds of them?
>
>Now this is an OM10 and doesn't have a removable screen.  I'm reluctant to
>disassemble the camera for one insect.  What should I do?

My suggestion would be to try freezing the little devil. Some insects can
probably survive sub zero temperatures, but many can't. I zap my bird's food
this way before storage in an air tight container. Give it plenty of time in
the freezer, preferably along with silica gel. Almost any type of fumigant
is apt to damage the camera or leave a deposit. At one time bug collectors
used cyanide to zap bugs.

Doug