Re: [OM] Hi! Lets open up this list to commercial vendors!

Subject: Re: [OM] Hi! Lets open up this list to commercial vendors!
From: Frank van Lindert <lindertv@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 15 Feb 1998 11:01:00 GMT
On Sun, 15 Feb 1998 09:50:04 GMT, kyu@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Volkhart
Baumgaertner) wrote:

>Yo,
>
>on Sun, 15 Feb 1998 00:16:44 -0500, Tomoko Yamamoto wrote:
>

>>Although Paul Van Tuyl's posting is many times annoying, he specializes in
>>Olympus camera.  Commercial vendors in general do not limit themselves to
>>one special brand.  Besides I would not like to be solicited by any more
>>commercial vendors or even individual vendors because of my membership on
>>the list.  I'll quit the list if that happens.
>>
>>This list exists to exchange information on Olympus cameras, not really for
>>any commercial purposes. Since this list is managed by Shawn Wright using
>>his school's computer facilities, the list should not become commercial in
>>orientation.
>
>I agree.
>
>Here's a suggestion for Paul, though, which IMHO may be helpful for
>everybody here.
>Paul, as many participants of this list are bothered by your posting single
>items in reply to questions asked here, why don't you go about it
>differently. Why don't you post your inventory here, let's say once a week
>(and not more!), so whoever is looking for something can always check your
>latest list, and whoever is bothered by it will just have to delete this one
>message per week, and then only write additional postings whenever you get
>something really (and I mean REALLY) unusual or rare, or, of course, when
>you have other, more topical than commercial, things to contribute.
>
>May be this would be a way to keep everybody here happy; I personally would
>really appreciate this as a service. Of course, this is only a suggestion
>that I personally think would be an improvement - anybody with a different
>opinion please share your thoughts on this with us.
>

>MtFbwy,
>Volkhart

I object against commercial inventories being placed on this list!!
Those lists are most easily found elsewhere on the Internet.

I think only a few things are needed to make everybody happy:

- If a commercial vendor, reading the list, thinks he can help a
particular poster by offering an item he has for sale, let him email
this person privately. Placing these offers on the list gets annoying
and is easily avoided.
- If a commercial vendor thinks he can help the whole group with
technical or commercial advice, let him make his contribution. The WWW
page where his inventory can be found will undoubtedly be in his
signature....
- If a private list member wants to sell some Olympus related objects
to other list members, let him place his for sale list here. I
personally am not to happy about this, but from another discussion 6
months ago it became clear that the majority of the list members would
welcome these private offers.

Frank van Lindert.
Utrecht - NL.