Re: [OM] Found some Bellows at Last!

Subject: Re: [OM] Found some Bellows at Last!
From: Frank van Lindert <lindertv@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 1998 08:45:48 GMT
On Sun, 15 Feb 1998 22:32:32 +0100, Clive Warren
<Clive.Warren@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>Dear All,
>
>Thought I would share news of my good fortune - a set of bellows and slide
>copier boxed from a local shop in exc++ condition with 6 month guarantee
>for $140 :-)
>
>Now it makes sense to look for a couple more macro lenses.  Has anyone had
>experience of the two wide angle bellows lenses?  The use of these lenses
>(20mm and 38mm?  off the top of my head) was mentioned in a thread some
>time ago.
>
>All the best,
>
>              Clive   http://clive.bel-epa.com

Congratulations, Clive. You certainly made a good purchase.

I have often used the 20 and 38mm macro heads (I shouldn't call them
wide-angles, though). I have used both the older microscope lenses
which need the PM-Tob adapter to be fitted to the bellows and the
newer automatic ones. Optically they are on a par.
I never use the double cable release, so for me the older types would
do, on the bellows that is (Of course on the auto-zoom tube the
automatic lenses make good sense).

Both macro heads give beautiful pictures. The magnification (up to
12x) makes a heavy tripod or special macro stand necessary. I use my
bellows almost exclusively indoors, in laboratory-like conditions. You
will of course need much light, both for modeling-and-focusing and for
shooting. Two T-32's on little tripods or other stands will prove
useful for the shooting, but you will need a good set of halogen
lights to model.

The 20 and 38mm macro heads aren't very easy to be found. The older
types (which need the adapter) do have a standard (?) microscope
thread, therefore you might find a good substitute from another brand
once you have got a PM-Tob adapter to try the thread. Normal
microscope objectives may fit this adapter as well. They don't have
diafragms though. The older 20 and 38 Zuiko's are just microscope
objective lenses with a diafragm built in, as far as I know.

I don't know if you already own a 80mm macro head, but this one is my
favorite on the bellows. I am referring to the older, non automatic
one which has no focusing aid built in. But the aperture setting (all
manual) is superb here. Again: the automatic version will do better on
the zoom-tube of course.

Hope this helps,

Frank van Lindert.
Utrecht - Holland.