Re: [OM] Found some Bellows at Last!

Subject: Re: [OM] Found some Bellows at Last!
From: Frank van Lindert <lindertv@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 1998 12:25:11 GMT
On Mon, 16 Feb 1998 10:38:46 +0100, Clive Warren
<Clive.Warren@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>Thanks Frank, useful info. especially about the PM-Tob adapter.  Have a
>feeling that some lens experimentation is just around the corner.  Do you
>know if there are limitations in how far a diaphragm can be placed from a
>lens?

No Clive, I have no idea. In the Olympus microscope adapter, which
fits between microscopes and camera body (but is fixed in length)
there is a kind of diafragm built in, near the microscope end of it.
The aperture is fixed, and much wider than the one inside the macro
heads.

>Re. the microscope lens theory - I have been considering some
>experimentation here already, having played around with a microscope
>recently.  Was wondering whether you also need to use the microscope
>viewing lens or something similar somewhere inside the bellows.......

No, you won't need that. If you take a microscope objective lens which
is not too strong (same range as the macro heads) you can project a
sharply focused image directly on the film plane with that. You have
to find the best subject distance from the lens, and of course you can
play with the extension of the bellows.
Olympus does make special photo-eyepieces (to be used with the
microscope adapter mentioned above) which are weak in terms of
magnification compared to normal viewing eyepieces. A 3x photo
eyepiece is to be considered rather strong.... I would certainly start
without any eyepieces, especially when using the bellows that doesn't
have any mechanism to take them.

>Yes I do have the 80mm macro lens together with a zoom tube and it is one
>of the older, non automatic versions.  Have to say that it is a bit
>irritating to use on a focussing stage with live bugs, however quality is
>superb.

Focusing will remain the same with your bellows then. But the bellows
extension mechanism - which also influences focus distance - is much
easier to handle.

>All the best,
>
>              Clive   http://clive.bel-epa.com

And to you, Clive.