Re: [OM] Hi! Lets open up this list to commercial vendors!

Subject: Re: [OM] Hi! Lets open up this list to commercial vendors!
From: Ken Norton <kenorton@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 1998 10:17:51 -0600
I am waiting for delivery of an IS-3 and miscellaneous doodads from Paul.
I bought the items from him because of his exposure here in the list.  Why?
 Because of deadline (I have a wedding coming up that I need it for),
availability (new ones are rather rare these days), and the fact I don't
have a zillion hours to dredge through every possible dealer in the USA
looking for one and then having to deal with inane salespeople who cannot
understand the difference between 2nd day air and UPS ground saver.

Before placing my order with him, I did ask around a bit (you all know who
you were) and got opinions on him ranging from "A turd, but an honest turd"
to "troll" to "fine, not a problem, I wish more dealers were like him."

I feel as though I paid too much for the camera, but again, what is my time
worth?  Any future purchases I will be a real turkey when it comes to
getting him down on prices.  He won't beable to get by unscathed next time.
 <g>

In talking with him on the phone (1-800#) I learned he is a salesman first,
businessman second, and photographer down the list a ways.  His technical
contributions of "I have them in stock" is perfectly valid as that is his
area of expertise.  We all have areas of "expertise" and unfortunately,
many who can contribute choose not to and just lurk.  That's ok, though.

I think for any commercial venders on the list they should exhibit
restraint in messaging.  I have no problem with focused responses (Paul did
offer the camera backchannel to me), and periodic postings of "I'm here and
here is my inventory page URL".  Keeping his business name "Top of Mind" is
just plain good business sense and I can appreciate that.  Just don't be an
opportunist.

Now, if my IS-3 isn't here tomorrow (TUESDAY) and exactly as described, you
will see another side of me that won't be pretty!

Ken Norton
Quincy Illinois.