RE: [OM] Lenses as supplementaries (reversed 50 on 200)

Subject: RE: [OM] Lenses as supplementaries (reversed 50 on 200)
From: "Chung, Stephen (D&B Telecom)" <ChungS@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 1998 23:00:08 -0500
>Tomoko wrote:-
>>Yesterday I went to my local camera store and bought a 49mm macro coupler
>>for $6.95.  I tried out the arrangement this afternoon.
>>
>>I was impressed by the amount of magnification.  Since I can't find
>>anything interesting to photograph at that magnification, I did not take
>>any pictures.

After reading the posts from Hank Hogan et al (thanks people) re:
reversing lens on lens,  I tried a combination of 50 f1.8 reversed on 50
f1.8 and got heavy vignetting (similar to circular frame fish eye) and
what seemed like pincushion distortion.  Working distance was about one
inch.  Still, I did use this combo to get a close up of an ant on its
journey up our paperbark tree, and the newly formed tip of a creeping
vine that was winding its way up a wooden fence post.

Luckily the light from the setting sun was at the right angle to
illuminate these subjects else my flash bracket would not have been able
to position a flash properly, what with the lens being one inch away
from the subject.  Focussing was difficult but not impossible.  I also
tried the 50 f1.8 reversed on a 100 f2.8 but had an even harder time
focussing but no visible vignetting.  All the pictures taken with the 50
reversed on 100 were out of focus.

I've decided that a set of extension tubes or the macro teleconverter
are a less painful way of taking macro shots.  Also on my serious wish
list is a true macro lens.