RE: [OM] IS-3DLX -- Day One

Subject: RE: [OM] IS-3DLX -- Day One
From: "Per Nordenberg" <per.nordenberg@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 1998 01:26:50 +0100
-----Ursprungligt meddelande-----
Från: Ken Norton <kenorton@xxxxxxxxxx>
Till: olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Datum: den 19 februari 1998 00:18
Ämne: [OM] IS-3DLX -- Day One

> [...]
>LONG!  I can't tell you how many times I hit the www.ups.com web site
>checking the status of the package.
>
>Anyway 5:55pm the unique sound of an ugly brown truck pulls up in front of
>the house.  I quickly hand off Allison to my wife and meet the driver
>halfway down the sidewalk.  Am I eager?????  I have the box almost open by
>the time I'm back in the house and tossing peanuts everywhere.  Karen is
>none too happy about the disaster area I'm creating, but she understands.
>It is, after all, Christmas in February!
>
>First impression:  It's big!  The IS-1 was much smaller in size and didn't
>have quite the "hips."  Second impression:  It's heavy!  I immediately
>recognized that I will have to change my holding technique to keep messers
>Carpel and Tunnel in line.  This camera is heavier than the IS-1.  Third
>impression:  They fixed almost every ergonomic dyficiency that the IS-1
>had.  They moved a lot of buttons around.  I really like the shift knob
>surrounding the shutter release.  I just wish they would have put a
>backlight in the LCD display...
>
>Focusing:  It is faster and accurate.  I quickly learned how to turn the
>obnoxious beep off though.  The beep has its place, just not during wedding
>shoots!  : (
>
>Remote Control:  Slick.  Especially for "bulb" exposures.  Just click open,
>click close. The angle and distance for the remote to work is putrid.  I'll
>have to go buy one of those IR Repeaters at Radio Shack so I can use this
>"upstage" at weddings.  I noticed that the instructions said 5 years of
>normal service life and no replacable battery inside.  This stinks.  Any
>idea if one can "hot-wire" a replacement battery, just in case.  I doubt
>Olympus will be selling replacement remotes in five years.  Hmm, the remote
>is almost the perfect size to open battery covers on OM bodies.
>
>Viewfinder:  I'm glad I got another 0, -2 diopter.  The IS-1 focus screens
>are set optically a bit more distant than the OM cameras.  Instead of five
>feet, it appears to be about seven feet.  Brightness is fantastic.  Is this
>what the new 2-series screens are like?  If so, my order is going in this
>week!  The screen is sharper and less "lazer-etched" than in the IS-1.
>
>Program-mode features:  What happened to the auto-sizing portrait mode?  I
>really liked that, believe it or not.  I haven't seen both shutter priority
>and aperature priority modes since the Canon A-1!  Nice touch.
>
>Power-focus:  Much better location for the button.
>
>Power-zoom:  Two-speed zoom.  I love it, except high-speed is too slow.
>Almost as bad as my Sony camcorder.
>
>If somebody wants to know what Olympus is capable of doing with an OM-5
>should look at the IS-3(000).  The only major items missing is the OM lens
>mount and OTF metering.  This camera is a serious shooting machine and
>cannot be classified as a p&s, although that is how I will use it 750f

Ken, have you forgotten that this camera was developed 10 years ago and that it
is already out of production? :-)

Seriously, your description of your first encounter with the IS-3 sounds a lot
like my own. There´s so many functions that one feels as if there´s something
new to test every day. There is some drawbacks like ESP should have had a
separate switch as on OM-PC so that one could have used it in several exposure
modes. Spot function should have duplicated the one on OM-2S with continously
measuring in manual instead of a single fixed reading. There is no indication
for power focus. Tell us what you think about this.

The built-in GN28 flash is a delight however. You must try the super FP
function in manual and portrait modes (I suppose you didn´t have that on the
IS-1?) Also when you´re among people be prepared for the following questions:
What kind of camcorder is this? I´ve never seen it before. Is it a new model?

Best IS-3 moments,
Per Nordenberg
Sweden