Re: [OM] Camera bags

Subject: Re: [OM] Camera bags
From: PCACala@xxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 1998 22:59:41 EST
Hi TLAWRENCE:

<< Does anyone have any updated advice on "soft" camera bags? Any other models
which have worked out well for your needs? >>

It is mostly a camera vest for me, although my specialized and macro flash
gear is starting to reside in an old Canon leather gaget bag and my big Zuikos
in a square Taiwan-made aluminum case devoted to my 4 x 5 equipment.  The
camera vest is the best thing I ever got (about 13 years ago).  It could never
hold the modern behemouth 35 mm cameras and lenses, but it's great for two OM
bodies and up to 8 lenses, a tripod, plus all the odds and ends.

The aluminum case looks stupid on trails and while scrambling up rocks.  But
given the cost of what is in it I wouldn't trust anything else.  They work
GREAT bungie corded to an ATV.

Back in the days I backpacked, I also put my equipment on a foam bed in the
top of my pack.  Worked out nice, except for having to take the pack off.
Then I got smart and wore a vest also.  Then I got smarter and stopped
backpacking and stuck to day hikes.

Vests work great when driving.  You just hang them on the back of your seat.

If I'm someplace civilized and traveling light, I cram a body, a flash, and
two lenses into a small v-shaped shoulder bag that L.L. Bean once sold.

In canoes, it's a waterproof inflatable bag!

Gary Reese
Las Vegas, NV